Chapter Three

It was a relief when the day ended. We'd gotten so many calls that it was hard to keep up, but in the end I'd found a way. I was exhausted, dirty, and ready to go home, even though I'd have to face my sister.

I didn't want to talk to her? What would I say? How could you keep something so big from me? What was the point?

"Are you okay?" Eddie asked on our way out, as we said our goodbyes.

"Yep. No. I don't know."

"It's about your sister."

I nodded, opening the passenger side of his truck.

"You don't have to talk to her, if you don't want to." He said. "Not until you're ready."

He started the truck, backing out of his spot. His hand was on the back of my seat as he used it as support to turn to look over his shoulder. I was hyperaware of him, of how close he was to touching me.

"I have to get this over with sooner or later. It'll be awkward living with her, and having this floating over us."

He took my hand, kissing the back of it. "You do what you think is right, and I'll be there to support you."

I smirked. "I'm going to be 27 in two months. I'm an adult; I should be able to do this on my own."

"I'm not saying that you're not an adult... I just... This is what significant others are supposed to do, right? Be supportive and help their partner through difficult times?"

"They are. But I don't want you to feel obligated to be there."

"I don't feel obligated. I want to be there if you want me to be."

"Thank you," I said. It meant a lot to me that he was supportive.

When we pulled up to the apartment, I was relieved to see that the Jeep wasn't there. She must have been at work or out. But there was a familiar vehicle sitting where the Jeep usually sat.

"Fuck!" I hissed.

"What?" Eddie asked, his eyes wide with concern.

"Corrine's here," I muttered.

"What the fuck? What is she doing here?"

"I've been ignoring her calls."

"Buck!"

"You told me you didn't want me to talk to her." I said.

"I meant after you broke up with her." He growled.

I felt horrible. This would be messy. "I didn't know what to say to her."

"Well, you better figure that out."

I watched as she got out of her car and walked towards the truck. She looked beautiful, like always; her brown hair was pulled up, she wore a teal blazer and a black pencil skirt.

Swallowing hard, I got out of the truck.

She stopped a few feet in front of me, folding her hands politely in front of herself.

"So, I see you two are back together," she said.

I couldn't read what she was feeling. Her face were guarded, and she wasn't glaring at me. But I knew that she wasn't happy to see me here with Eddie.

"Corrine..." She held up a hand.

"Buck, don't. I don't want to hear it. You led me on, you told me that we were going to go out. And then you ignore my calls, my messages, and I find you here with him. What is it about him?"