Chapter Twenty

It warmed my heart to watch Eddie carry his boy back into the house. Christopher's head rested against his dad's shoulder.

Eddie looked at peace.

I envied him. My stomach had been twisting anxiously since Corrine's call. It had been beyond creepy. Why couldn't she just leave me alone?

"You okay?" he asked once we got into the house.

I shook my head.

He looked torn. But he needed to put his son to sleep first. I watched him retreat down the hallway. What would I tell him? That the girl I'd seen when we were in our weird not dating phase was potentially stalking me? But there was no way she could be. Her vehicle had been at the park first.

I was just being hysterical and paranoid.

But what had been with that phone call?

I sat on the couch and looked around the living room. It felt lived in. There were pictures on the mantle, and I got up to look at them.

They were pictures of Christopher when he'd been a baby and him throughout the years so far. I wasn't sure if I felt relieved or not that there were no pictures of Shannon. Maybe he'd taken them down?

I picked one up. It was Eddie when he'd been a teenager. I could see the man he would become in his face. His hair was messy, and he was wearing a football jersey. He had a medal around his neck, and he was smiling a wide smile.

"Can we talk?"

I turned to find him standing behind me, but a considerable distance away. He looked troubled.

My stomach flipped.

I swallowed hard.

"What's up?"

"Corrine called you today. And you answered."

I swallowed again. "I didn't look. I thought it was my sister."

"I thought I'd made my feelings about her clear." He said, his voice deceptively soft.

"And I thought I'd made my feelings clear about you keeping things from me."

He frowned. "I thought you said you didn't want to know."

"That's before you came in here and picked a fight with me for no reason."

He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Christ, Buck! You promised me you wouldn't talk to her."

"And I won't. I'm sorry."

"We need to be honest with each other."

I ran a hand over my face. Why was this happening? Why were we fighting? We'd had a wonderful day.

"I have been honest with you!" I pointed out, my voice low. "It's you that's kept things from me."

He cringed as though I'd punched him. "I thought you were over that."

"I will never be over that!" I hissed, trying to keep my voice down. Christ! His son was sleeping. "You hurt me in a way I never imagined that I could be hurt. You broke my trust. And I'm trying to move past it. I really am. But hearing that you have something else to hide only brings those feelings back to the surface.

"If you can't be honest with me, then this won't work."

He suddenly grabbed me and kissed me, his lips desperate against mine. I knew what he was doing. He was trying to pour all of his love into me.

He gazed at me with those dark, dark eyes. And suddenly, I felt as though I could drown in them. I was noticing for the first time how truly gorgeous those eyes were. But, then again, everything about this man was gorgeous.