Chapter 3

"Come in, Prince Vegeta!" came a male voice over his scouter radio.

"What is it?" He asked sounding annoyed as he looked over the ruins of another alien race.

"There's some unfortunate news from Lord Frieza. Planet Vegeta was struck by an asteroid, and sadly it was destroyed," his voice seemed to be trembling as he spoke.

"Are you sure?" the man had to be mistaken.

"Yes, Lord Frieza sends his condolences to you. We are trying to see if any other saiyans are left sir, as of now you are the only one,"

Vegeta didn't say anything his mind reeling and repeating the words he'd just said. Planet Vegeta...Destroyed?...

"Prince Vegeta, are you there?"

He didn't say anything as his body began to tremble as the unnamed man's words sank in. His home planet and people had been destroyed by an asteroid? That sounded so stupid, so unlikely that his warrior race would be taken out by a rock!

But what left him silent was the emptiness that ripped at his chest as if he had been physically attacked.

Kagome...

"Are you still there sir?"

He grabbed the scouter and crushed it within his hand; his eyes shut tightly. Pain overwhelmed his senses, bringing the saiyan prince to his knees. His heart contracted painfully, making it hard even to breathe; this wound was unlike any he'd ever experienced. His body had been beaten and broken leaving him on the brink of death, yet that pain held no flame to the one that now shook him to his core.

Tears burned his eyes, slipping through his tightly closed eyelids making wet trails down soot-covered cheeks.

Planet Vegeta has been destroyed, and with it, his beloved Kagome; the woman who was his world and soon would have been his mate. If only he'd stayed he might have been able to destroy the asteroid before it hit, saving her. He didn't care what happened to the rest of Planet Vegeta; there is no point if he couldn't have her. If only he'd been there maybe they could have escaped. If only he had stayed like she'd asked, and pleaded, perhaps things could have been different.

A roar of anger escapes his throat as a surge of energy burst forth from his body. Blinded by rage as he took his wrath out on the landscape. When he had flattened the land around him, he fell to his knees, slamming his fists repeatedly into the ground.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you Kagome," He cried into the dirt, his tears quickly dampening the surface as they fell from his face.

"I'm so sorry."