Chapter 41

Jarrett

Visenya nodded gently when he mentioned taking her away, offering him a small smile. She chose to ignore Aegon and his leering, turning her attention back to the fruit bowl, picking a few more grapes before setting it down. She watched her mother, listening to her kind words to her cousin, feeling glad that someone had asked for her mother's favour.

She continued to watch, brightening when Jace was announced, happily cheering for her brother. She watched him approach the royal booth – Visenya whistled playfully, earning a disapproving glare from her mother, and a chuckle from Viserys, amused by his granddaughter's antics.

"Princess Visenya, sister, would you do me the great pleasure of giving me your favour for this tournament?" Jace called up to his sister grinning. "I'm sure having the blessing of the bride-to-be will go a long way," Jace couldn't help but smirk at Aemond as Visenya stood, taking her floral favour, taking steps down to the front of the booth, leaning over to give her favour to her brother.

"Hmm, look how pleased your betrother is to see her bastard brother, brother," Aegon murmured to Aemond, knowing he could get on his nerves. "It seems he would ask for her favour right in front of you, tormenting you," Aegon smirked, knowing exactly which buttons to press if he needed to.

"I wish you luck dear brother, I'm sure you will do very well," she smiled brightly, as Jace bowed his head, thanking her. She smiled sweetly, earning coos from the crowd, pleased to see the brother and sister interacting. Visenya returned to her seat, glancing at Aemond, knowing he wasn't exactly a fan of her brother.

Part of her was a little concerned that he wouldn't want to go for a flight if she annoyed him. She had heard Rhoxas had been uneasy, and very restless in the dragon pit, but she hadn't been able to sneak away to see him. The dragon keepers had struggled to get him to calm.

Visenya was on edge as she watched Jace, almost thrown from his horse, her face filled with worry, much more worry than she had shown for Daemon – Daemon had fought in real battles, he was hardened from it. Her brother had only ever trained – and whilst he had good training, she would still worry for him. "No, no, no..." she mumbled, letting out a sigh of relief when he wasn't thrown from his horse, shouting and clapping with Rhaenyra as he remained on his horse, returning her mother's pleased smile when she turned to nod and reassure her daughter.

------

Harwin watched the exchange between mother and son fondly – he wanted to tell his wife that she was such a good mother to their children, that he wanted to make her a mother to many more children. He could watch their children grow with pride, knowing how well they raised them. He was pleased that Rhaenyra's children had turned out well too, even if he was tinged with sadness that he couldn't be involved – he loved being a father, but he would sacrifice that, to live his happy life with Rila and their children.

"I speak of naughty things, but the naughty things I would actually do to you," he said in a hushed whisper, with a chuckle. He watched Alecor compete against is opponent, chearing for his son. "Yes!" he cheered as he watched the boy throw his competitor from his horse, bouncing Daerys who shrieked in excitement at the commotion. "Your brother is just as talented as your Daddy, can you say Daddy?" he teased the babe who simply babbled and shrieked in delight. He happily handed the babe over to her mother, grinning when he felt his wife's hand on his thigh.

Harwin watched as Jace approached for his round, pausing as he watched the exchange between siblings. He tried not to feel the nervous bubbles in his stomach. He knew Rila would feel slight unease with his bastard son being so close. He was glad that Jace paid them no mind as he asked for his sister's favour. Harwin glanced at Aemond and Aegon, noticing Aegon's grin. He would often tell Rila how rotten he thought Aegon was – he had heard plenty of rumours and seen plenty of the terrible things her brother liked to indulge in.

"Hmm, I believe we will need to have several more children to even the playing field, my love, and they will all need to say Daddy as their first word, I think I'll need to keep filling you with children until this happens," he said thoughtfully to her, hoping they could gloss over the fact that Jace had just de-horsed his opponent. It was Visenya and Rhaenyra's shout of delight that broke his concentration, as he glanced back at the arena, giving them a clap.

"Perhaps our son will win a golden dragon this tourney," he smiled softly at Rila, hoping to distract her some from the arena, taking a sip of his wine, feeling at ease when the next competitors were called. It reminded him how messy their affairs could get between her sister, his bastards and Daemon.

Harwin would do anything to see his wife happy, and he knew having her sister around caused an awkwardness that they couldn't always see beyond. He hoped to keep the two apart where he could. He himself hadn't spent any time near Rhaenyra since they arrived.