Two strangers in a home

"Mom"

"Mom"

Nellie heard a familiar voice, a voice she missed so much. Slowly waking up in her bed she opened her eyes. "Toby is it you?" She asks surprised to see her son after so much time. How she missed him there was no words to describe her pain and sadness, it was all still there. Her hand went to his angelic face and stroked it, he looked good no blood no antything unlike the last time she saw him.

"Oh how much I missed you!" she embraced
him sobbing loudly. Smelling his scent she hold him close. She wanted to tell how hard it was for her to leave him behind like that, how much she cried, how devastated she was and she wanted to be dead. Of course she needed to tell her marriage with Sweeney and the the baby on the way too, she wanted to tell him everything.

"I'm alright mom I'm happy" he says smiling coming out of her embrace still holding her hands with his smaller ones. He looked happy too and very peacful. Why did he look so happy she did not understand was he happy without her, she certainly was not without him, she thought of him every day even though she no longer cried as often as she did nothing had changed about the pain.

"You are?" She asks her voice full of sadness as tears rolled down her eyes. It was not that she was not happy for him she was absolutly that he was somewhere happy. Now her boy was there finally she could hug him again. She smiled sadly hoping this time he wouldn't go again, he wouldn't leave her behind.

"Yes mom, but I miss you so much" he pulled her with one hand he was still holding. "Come with me" before she could say anything he made her come out of  bed. Not minding she had a nightgown on she followed him down the stairs to the parlor and further. The backdoor was open causing to blow the wind inside and making the curtains flutter. As they headed to the backporch Toby let go of her hand and walked faster to the sand.

"Toby wait.." she called him as he was fast and was already walking from the promenade on the sand heading to the sea. Placing her hand to shield her eyes from the sun to see him she went after him.

Out of breath she managed to come by his side and seated herself on the sand beside him. He was sitting making a sand castle. "Look" he showed the castle and placed three wooden dolls on it.  "This is mr Todd" he showed her the tallest doll after that "This is you mom" he says showing her the middle one. Then he took a little one "This is my sister" he showed her the last doll.  "Johanna" she smiled. "No mom it's my sister" he placed his hand on her belly "I know" she looked at his hand where her child was, he knew? How? She than looked at his face he was smiling while he was nodding.

"You know?" Her eyes formed instantly tears again. She wanted to tell him she never would forget or love him less how could she.. "Yess I'm watching over you and her" he stroked her belly. Nellie became more emotional seeing him loving his sister like this. She swallowed and placed her hand on his. He knew before she could tell him anything..

"Her?" She furrowed her eyebrows as she realised what he said. It is a girl? She was completly mindblown how could he know all those things the child isn't even born yet. "Yes she is going to be as beautiful as you are." He smiles his hand still on her belly. Looking at the picture all she could feel was sorrow while she needed to be happy.

"Where are you?" She than asks looking at the dolls, she wanted him there he was a part of her, a part of their lives, as her son he was important to her and had more right to be there than her bloody husband. Suddenly his smiling face sadened as he slowly stood up and looked at her with a sorry look "I'm a dream mom.. he slowly stepped backwards thowards the sea as he spoke.

"Toby no!" Eleanor tried to reach out to him with her hand but it was like she was pinned to the sand as he slowly started to fanish before her eyes. She didn't want him to leave, it was far too soon to part from him.