09 | CHAOS AROUND HER

HAVING CALMED HERSELF DOWN, Izzy had decided she was unwilling to miss out on her chance to question a suspect in true Detective Decker fashion, and so, she had simply gotten a can of Cherry Coke from the vending machine and d...

HAVING CALMED HERSELF DOWN, Izzy had decided she was unwilling to miss out on her chance to question a suspect in true Detective Decker fashion, and so, she had simply gotten a can of Cherry Coke from the vending machine and downed it practically in one go to shake herself out of the near-panic attack. She had a heart full of gratitude for Captain Moretti and a head that was still spinning but trying to get in the game, and she wasn't going to let anyone kill her buzz – not even her own brain, which lately, seemed to be her worst enemy. More so than Michael, even.

                     Nevertheless, she had missed out on Chloe and Amenadiel bringing Mother Angelica, and while they were cooped up in the interrogation room, Izzy was fixating on cleaning up Kai's desk. She knew that the man couldn't always keep it tidy, just like she couldn't not keep things tidy, but she supposed that it worked out perfectly like this – he didn't have it in himself to clean up, so Izzy did it for him, alleviating her own anxiety in the process.

                     "So, do you think Mother Angelica did it?" Mariah asked, rolling a chair next to Kai who was mindlessly doodling on an old case file. Lifting her head, Izzy gave a look between the two and then shrugged.

                     "I don't know, but it feels a little on the nose, no? The head of the convent killing their newest nun?" she wondered out loud, and Kai nodded in agreement while pointing his pen at Izzy.

                     "The detective makes a good point", he hummed in fake thought, earning a grin from Izzy who threw an empty gummy bear bag at him. "What, I'm just saying!" Kai defended himself with a laugh, scrunching up the trash before throwing it in the bin under his desk, "you're gonna get there. One of these days, you're gonna have one of these babies all to yourself." He patted his hand against his desk like a car salesman, and with a snort, Izzy nodded.

                     "Damn right, I will", she announced, "except you'll be able to actually find stuff on mine."

                     Cutting a laugh, Mariah ruffled Kai's hair. "You're chaos, dude", she teased, knowing he wouldn't take offense when it was coming from them – even if he stuck out his tongue at them, colored blue from the lollipop he had been sucking on for the past twenty minutes.

                     "Yes, the ying to your yan, if you will", Kai declared, earning looks from both women that made him grimace, "it's the other way around, isn't it?"

                     Izzy laughed but stopped with a cough when she noticed Chloe emerging from the interrogation room, headed for the Holt with a smile. She directed one at Kai, too, who returned the expression bashfully and then gently took Izzy's shoulder to guide her towards the elevator. "Good news, your time to shine. We have a new suspect to question."

                     The trio – Izzy, Chloe, and Amenadiel – made their way to Destiny Page's latest concert venue, and the Holt tried to keep a professional face even if she was about to interview an actual, real-life pop star. It wasn't like she listened to her music all that much – if anything, Mazikeen was the fan out of the two, but it was quite dazzling to walk through backstage, regardless.