EPILOGUE

IZZY'S HANDS WERE GENTLE as she gently dabbed the disinfectant-covered cotton pad against the corner of Mazikeen's eye, wiping the torn skin clean from blood and grime. She was seated on the demon's lap with Maze's arms wound around her waist, keeping her close and balanced as she cleaned her face. She had taken a beating in the fight against Lucifer's siblings, but she looked gorgeous as ever – if anything, she was even more perfect with what would soon develop into colorful bruises on her flawless skin. Izzy adored the sight of her, a fond look in her concentrated eyes as she finished working on Mazikeen's face, sighing happily when she was done.

"All better", she reaffirmed before leaning into kiss the corner of her eye, and instantly taking the opportunity to gently grip Izzy's jaw and pull her into a proper kiss, Mazikeen tightened her hold on her. The unexpected, fiery kiss got Izzy to moan against her mouth, and the sound gave way to a grin on Mazikeen's lips. Reluctantly, she pulled away, but kept Izzy in her arms while gazing up at the redhead.

"Thanks, baby. How are you feeling?" she asked, her thumb caressing Izzy's cheek. It was a loaded question, but Isadora was confident she could give some kind of an answer, compared to the past couple of days when she had been uncertain about everything. Now, she felt clarity – she was going to be a detective, Benjamin was okay, she and Maze had never been closer and with Lucifer going to be God, surely Dan would make his way to Heaven where he'd get to reunite with Charlotte. For the first time in a while, Izzy felt hopeful.

"I'm okay", Izzy promised with a smile, one that slowly faded when she remembered one unfinished business. "Though, I did come to the realization that maybe... I'm not meant to be Queen of Hell. I just don't think I could torture all those unfortunate souls. I'm sure some of them deserve it, but what about people like Dan?" she pointed out, nervous about how Mazikeen was going to react. She knew the demon had loved Hell and yearned for her old home, so she hated to disappoint her – especially if they were to get married.

For a second, Maze simply observed Izzy's face and the anxiety visible across it, but eventually, she nodded in understanding. "That's a really good point", she admitted with a sigh, glancing down at their conjoined hands before meeting Izzy's eye again. "If you want to stay on Earth, then I'll stay with you. I do miss Hell, but... I want to be where you are. I'll choose you every time", Mazikeen decided, and breaking into a wide grin, Izzy cupped her face with both hands and peppered her skin with quick, sweet kisses.

"I love you so much, Maze. Thank you for everything", she whispered, feeling like she could finally take on the next day and not be afraid of what was to come. It was going to take her some time to heal, but with Mazikeen by her side, it didn't feel so impossible anymore. Beaming, Maze pulled Izzy into a hug and buried her face in her neck, murmuring her words softly.

"I love you, too."

///

Author's note

A short and sweet conclusion to the book <3 A lot happened but ultimately this story has been about Izzy and Maze's relationship and how they've grown since book one, so I found it fitting to end on a wholesome moment with just the two of them. 

Thank you so much for reading my humble little book, and thank you so much for 4K reads!! I appreciate every single one of you who supported me during the long, long journey it took me to write this. I originally started this book in 2022 and I struggled with it for a long time, but I'm proud to finish it now. For now, this may be the end for Izzy, but I kind of want to write a fic for season 6 with all of my characters (Izzy, Benjamin, Kai, Mariah, maybe also Elaine and Captain Moretti) to wrap everything up properly. We'll see!

Until the next one!