52. A Choice Made

Mitsi sat out on her balcony, a worried gaze fixed on the mountains in the far distance. A strange feeling had been plaguing her all afternoon. Something had happened, but what, she didn't know. All she knew was that it involved Lysander, and the fact worried her.

She rubbed at her chest, focusing on that gleaming tether within it. That was where her concern had originated. She'd felt pain and panic flash from it for a brief moment. Not long, but long enough to catch her attention.

Mitsi sighed, propping her elbows on the railing. She'd hoped Lysander would return today. It had been three days after all, but it was looking like that number would become four. Mitsi sighed again, biting her lip worriedly.

She began to toy with her locket in the hopes of distracting herself. If only Eira were around. She'd know how to distract Mitsi. Perhaps there was a way they could speak through Eira's daemati abilities?

Mitsi shook her head and rested her chin in her palm. "I wouldn't even know how to get her attention," she muttered to herself. "I suppose I could ask Seren, but..." No, Seren and Azriel had gone out with Rhys, Feyre, Mor, and Emerie this evening.

Mitsi pushed herself up and returned to her room. "I can't sit there and worry all night," she scolded herself. "I'm sure everything is fine."

She snatched up her knitting and breezed out of the room. Mitsi made her way downstairs and entered the sitting room, where she found both of her siblings. Mina looked up from the book she was reading and Micah paused his sketching.

Mitsi claimed a seat in between them and began knitting. The gloves were almost finished. She could likely finish them within ten to fifteen minutes if she wished.

The clack of her knitting needles and the scratch of Micah's pencil were the only sound to be heard, before Mina broke the silence. "I thought you went to bed."

"I did, but I couldn't sleep," Mitsi replied.

"You're still wearing your clothes," Micah remarked.

Mitsi pursed her lips and didn't respond. "Are you all right?" Mina asked presently.

"I'm fine."

"You're a terrible liar," Micah said. "But I assume we don't need to worry. You're just missing your halfbreed, right?"

Mitsi bristled at the mocking tone in his voice, but Mina spoke before she got the chance. "Shut the fuck up, Micah," her sister snapped. "What does it matter if she misses Lysander? He's her friend, is he not?"

Mitsi blinked at her in surprise, and a hesitant smile crossed her lips. Micah looked up from his sketches with a frown. "Since when are you all right with that? I thought you shared my opinion."

"Mitsi is right. She can make her own decisions about who she spends her time with. Sooner or later, we were going to have to accept it. I'd rather not be on Mitsi's bad side for the rest of the time that we're here, and I should think you wouldn't want to be either."

"I..." Micah began.

"After all, Mitsi hasn't complained about the friends you've made, not that she's even met them. She hasn't complained about us spending time with them. She hasn't even demanded to meet them."

"That's different. They're just friends, not someone who could be..." Micah broke off without finishing his sentence.

Mitsi finished the final stitch on the gloves and set them aside. "Someone who could be what, Micah?" She asked, her voice calm and quiet. Her brother just shook his dark head. "Someone who could be...special to me?" Mitsi guessed. "Is there something wrong with that?"