Chapter 17

Lizzie was preparing for Emma to come when she heard something knock over a trashcan outside. She didn't think anything of it and continued getting out blankets. She another sound come from outside and tried not to think anything of it. After she had heard a fourth sound she decided she would go see what was happening. She went to her dad's gun safe first to get protection. She picked out a lightweight EVO KC9 and started for the door. She went outside and started looking around. She reached inside and flicked the porch light on and saw something dart behind a car. She slowly approached the car with the gun in front of her, safety off. She rounded behind the car and thought she heard someone running. She turned full circle and looked everywhere. This was a bad idea. I should go get Dad. She was running to the door when something tripped her. She fell on her side and heard the gun go off. She heard someone cry out and ran towards the sound. This is dumb. What am I doing? As she got closer she started to identify feature of the figure. She still had the gun in hand and reloaded it. She put it up in her hand and slowly approached. The person was male, quite tall too. He had a cocky air about him, even as he sat with his hands around his leg, soaked through with blood. She tried to hide the fact that her hands were shaking by locking her elbows in place. The man before her smirked and started to size her up. He looked her up and down. "This is who the boss chose as her's?" He shook his head in disapproval. "I expected more. Though your file did describe you perfectly, I thought you'd be more...... awe-inspiring." She looked him up and down. "W-who are you?" He laughed, a deep hair-raising sound. "I'm the only one willing to do the job." He hung his head and looked up through his shaggy hair. He smiled cynically. "I'm here to kill you. So we can do this easily or we can make this fun. I am in this line of work for the bloodshed. I live for the chase. So what will it be?" Her eyes widened. He was from Emma's mafia. She lined up the sights and was about to squeeze the trigger when a car pulled up. The headlights went out and Emma stepped out of the car. She looked between Lizzie and the man on the ground, who was now laughing uncontrollably. She sneered. "So, going against direct orders are we?" He smiled. "Who me? Never. I was just having a fun conversation with Lizzie here. Do you know her?" His smile widened. He knew the answer he just wanted to hear the response. "That is none of your business, Kaden." He frowned. "I thought I made it quite clear what I would do if I caught anyone going after Lizzie. Does your memory need jogging?" His eyes momentarily flashed fear but it soon disappeared. "I think I recall you saying something about heads and me being blinded by rage at the thought of missing the opportunity for money, and blood." She shook her head. "Get up Kaden. You're not worth it." He got up and Emma snatched the gun from Lizzie and shot him once in the head. Hr looked back at her once before collapsing. Lizzie covered her mouth to keep from screaming. Tears were running down her face as she tried to tear her gaze from Kaden's body. Emma rubbed her forehead with one hand and slowly set the gun on the ground with the other. "Lizzie, I'm so sorry you had to witness that. I had to take care of him, he was compromised." She was finally able to look at Emma but her eyes were filled with the sight of a killer. She knew she killed people but she didn't think she would have to see it happen. "Can we talk inside?" Lizzie nodded and they went inside. Emma pulled out her phone and sent a quick text to their cleanup group. She followed Lizzie inside, trying to keep a good distance as not to scare the smaller girl. They sat down at the counter and Lizzie put her face in her hands. "I knew you did that kind of thing but... I never thought I'd have to see it. It scares me.... How you are so able to be cold and calculated in.... those kinds of situations." Emma nodded along with what she was saying. Her heart breaking at the thought of losing her again. "Lizzie, he is the only one to try and test my patience with you. I swear. I told you yesterday I would protect you, I won't forget it." Lizzie lifted her head and looked into her eyes. Lizzie's were sparkling with unshed tears. She nodded and went over and wrapped her arms around Emma. She rested her head on her shoulder and took in the semi-familiar scent. It was like honey and citrus. Emma tried not to flinch at how the movement made her back ache. Lizzie's thoughts snapped back around at that moment. "Oh my gosh! I totally forgot why you're here." She backed up trying to not hurt the larger girl. Emma pulled her back and hugged her tighter than ever. Lizzie tenderly hugged her back and they stood like that for a while. "Would it be alright if I called you my girlfriend?" Emma asked tenderly, knowing it was a weird subject. "I--I would like that...." Emma smiled. One step back, three steps forward.

Thank you for reading this chapter. I am trying to wrap this book up, so if you have any ideas for the final chapter or how it should end I would love to hear.