Chapt. 5 ~ Curiosity Kills The Cat

Mute appeared inside her room and dropped to her knees with a sigh of exhaustion and satisfaction. 'That was close.' She opened her eyes and plopped down on her bed. 'The first time to see so many people gathered in one place. Yet I didn't expect to see him there. Out of all places, why did I have to see him there? It's only a coincidence...'

Having thought that Mute decided to rest for bed and close her eyes. But of course, she didn't sleep. She never did. The next morning Miko entered inside Mute's room with breakfast in hand. "Good morning, Mute." She said as she walked inside and set the tray of food on the nightstand. Mute peeked her head out from underneath the covers. Her eyes squinted from the brightness of the room as she groaned in a low tone. She looked at the tray of food and back at Miko. "At least eat something. It would be tragic if you rotted away. You didn't have a thing to eat yesterday, and I know you went out last night." She smirked at the end of her sentence.

Mute could only sigh in defeat. She couldn't persuade her way out of this. So, for once she decided to listen to her friend. Mute sat up and yawned as Miko handed her the tray of food. She nodded to Miko, thanking her for the food before taking small bites out of her breakfast. 

"You came home early again last night. That's the 2nd time now. Are you sure everything is okay?" Miko asked. Mute nodded in response as she continued to eat. "Well then, it's good that you came home earlier than usual. The killer struck again." Miko handed her this morning's newspaper with the title that read, JACK THE RIPPER STRIKES AGAIN!

Mute stared at the newspaper before taking another nibble of her breakfast. 'They're only killing women...' She noticed but didn't bother to say anything. She remembers the body she spotted when they were out into town yesterday. 'And he was there...' An image flashed in her head of Sebastian before she shook her head to get the image out of her head. 

"I'll be going into town again today to speak with an acquaintance of mine. Do you wish to come along with me this time? Or would you rather stay here and be consumed by the darkness of your covers." Miko teased, causing Mute to chuck a pillow at her face while growling with food in her mouth. "I'm sorry! I couldn't help it! You make it so easy for me to tease you!" Miko laughed. 

Mute waved off to her friend, telling her to go on out as she would stay inside for the day. She needed to recover from last night. Miko nodded her head and said, 

"I won't be out for too long." 

And left the bedroom and soon leaving the house. Mute finished what she could eat and went to the kitchen to clean the dishes. For the remainder of the day Mute walked around the house and explored every room to ease her boredom. She didn't feel like going out with her friend this time. She didn't want to risk anymore chances of running into that demon again. 

Why is it that she kept seeing him everywhere she had appeared? It didn't make sense to her. She found what she was seeking, and now she wants nothing to do with it. She was only curious at the time. But not anymore. She didn't expect what she was getting herself into when she had encountered Sebastian. 

The remainder of the day went by slowly and soon the night had arrived once again. Miko had returned home before the sun could set and now, she was in the middle of making tonight's dinner. Meanwhile, Mute was still inside the house and in her room. She was debating to go out tonight. Usually she loved the long nights and loved to explore the darkest and isolated parts of London. 

Soon enough she began to overthink. The one thing she hated doing. Without wasting another second, she stepped out of the house and soared through the night in a hurry. Soaring above the buildings and streets of London, and with the starry sky and the moon lighting the night, Mute stopped and found herself on top of one of the buildings. She inhaled deeply through her nose and exhaled as she closed her eyes, relaxing her mind. And then, 

"Get me, get me out
I can't stand the mirror
I hear all of my skeletons calling my name
Judge me like a Catholic priest at confessions
Give me your blessings and break through the void~" 

She began to sing. Music played in her mind as her body began to move on its own, matching the melody of the song. 

"Never meant to hurt no one, no one, no one
Sorry for the things I've done, I'm done, I'm done
Please let me out this room
Can't be alone with my thoughts no more
Think I've got a key but I don't see a door
Ooh-Oh~"

As she sang her song, black wings slowly began to spread out from her back. Black feathers fell around her as she danced with ease. When she finished her song, the wings on her back soon faded away as the feathers suddenly disappeared. Mute opened her eyes and stared at the night sky with her blank expression. 

Clang 

She heard a faint noise in the distance. It sounded like somebody had dropped metallic. Whatever the sound was, she could hear it within the silent night. 'Where did that come from?' She wondered. 'What was that?' She knew she wasn't imagining things. She knew what she heard. Nobody was out nor around her before she had begun singing. She made sure of it. 

Mute was curious to find out what it was. The night was still young, and she wanted to stick around a little while longer. But another part of her was telling her to go back to the house. What should she do? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Song Oc was singing is Void by Melanie Martinez