Chapt. 38 ~ What Did You Do?

"Who is your enemy?" 

"What are you fighting for?" 

"Who are you really angry at?" 

"Enough." 

"Who can you trust?" 

"What brought you to this point?" 

"Stop it." 

"What is your soul telling you?" 

"What are you missing?" 

"What part of you is hurting you the most?" 

"What do you remember, Alois?" 

"Stop it!!!" 

Alois screams to the top of his lungs as he gripped his head. He stood in a place surrounded by darkness with Mute's voice filling the void with questions. Her voice of questioning echoed through the abyss that she had trapped Alois is. Nobody could hear him. Nobody could save him. Only Mute had the power to bring him out of his own mind. 

Memories of Alois's pass flashed in his head one by one. The village. His brother. The old man. And Claude. "What made you get to this point?" Mute's voice echoed again. 

"The villagers! They treated me like rubbish! Like I was nothing!" Alois shouted while trying to locate the she-creature. Mute wasn't convinced. She needed to push him to his limits. 

"No. Something else broke you to the conclusion to be brought into the hands of a demon." Another image appeared in the boy's head. 

Luke's dead body. 

"You lost somebody when the village was left to ash. Do you believe the fire killed him?" 

"No! It was Ciel! Ciel Phantomhive killed my brother!" 

"Wrong." A strong force of wind knocks Alois to his knees. "You were told that." Claude appeared in front of Alois, but in an entirely different attire. "And you believed them. What really happened to Luka? Why was his body like the others? Why were you the only survivor when you and Luka were there at the same time?" 

"Why are you showing me this?!" Alois growled. 

"To have you remember and realize the truth that has been hidden from you in plain sight." Mute appeared behind him for a split second before vanishing just as he turned to face her. 

"What are you talking about!?" 

"How did Claude know about Ciel? Why would Claude be so interested in Sebastian despite his own kind? They both came to your doorstep for a reason. Did you ever stop to think why Sebastian had come to your mansion with Ciel in hand? Not to hand him over to you. Why did Sebastian take New Moon Drop out of your hands that night?"