Chapter Five: I'm sorry mama

I'm sorry mama
I never meant to hurt you
I never meant to make you cry
But tonight
I'm cleanin' out my closet

Cleaning Out My Closet by Eminem

*unedited* (word count:)

Matteo

Audriana stares at me with her pale, hazel eyes. Her caramel colored hair is pulled back out of her diamond-shaped face. She hasn't said anything yet. She's been awake and alert for at least an hour.

"Ms. Austin, I'm Jane with DCFS." A tall woman blurts out as she stands at the end of the bed. She's in casual business attire. Almost looks a little too serious. "We need to talk about AJ and what you want to do."

"What do you want me to say?" Audriana asks. "I was shot three times. I have nerve damage and I can start my project."

"You project is covered," I mutter.

She ignores me as she stares at the woman. The woman shifts on her feet uncomfortably. She pulls out some paperwork and sets it on the table.

"We recommend that he be adopted out," Jane replies. "We believe it's the safest option for him."

"Then do it," Audriana replies. "He would be better off away from this fucked off family."

"We need you to sign all of these papers," Jane replies.

"Do you have a family for him?" I ask. "A foster family or something?"

"Yes, that's where he is now," Jane replies.

I slide the table toward Audriana and hand her the pen. She signs every single paper without reading any of them. Not smart but I'm sure she doesn't want to deal with any of this.

"Thank you," Jane murmurs before grabbing the papers and leaving.

Audriana looks at me. She flips me off before faintly smiling. I playfully roll my eyes at her making her giggle.

"What did you mean when you said my project is covered?" She asks.

"Don't worry about it," I reply. "Just worry about getting better."

"So you went and got yourself shot?" I turn and see a woman standing at the end of the bed. Her hair is short and black with streaks of brown in it. She looks similar to Audriana. They share features but not many. "Why in the hell would you do that?"

She has a thick accent much like Audriana. She's about two shades darker than Audriana and just a bit shorter. They share the same button nose and sharp, plump lips. The rest can't compare.

"I didn't do it on purpose," Audriana replies. "It's not my fault."

"Never is, is it?" The woman asks. "I had to hear about this from the news."

"I don't have an emergency contact no more, mom," Audriana replies. "Mom, this is Matteo."

"Who is he? Why is he here?" Her mom asks as she looks at me.

"He saved my life," Audriana replies. "If it weren't for him, I would be dead."

"He's like eighty years old," her mom mutters.

"He's not that old," Audriana mutters. "Anyways, you have no say so over who I date anymore."

"Right," her mom mutters.

I look at Audriana as she yawns. She's exhausted. She needs rest, but is her mom going to leave so she can rest?

"You're coming home with me as soon as your discharged," her mom adds.