Chapter Sixteen: I wish I never ever told you all about it

Wish I didn't doubt it
I wish I never ever told you all about it
But I just had to let you know
I never meant to hurt you though
I had all my motives
I didn't know they wouldn't mix with your emotions
I just had to reach my goals
Never knew I needed you though, so

You Get Me So High by The Neighborhood
*unedited* (word count:)

Audriana

Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year. Well, it's supposed to be. I thought it was going to be. It's nine o'clock and no one has shown up to dinner. I made it myself. Matteo couldn't get Laura to help last minute. I made a turkey and ham with all of the sides. I even made pies and little goody bags. The candles are lit and the lighting is dimmed.

I got a wheelchair yesterday and I have been on the go ever since. I did last-minute shopping and got everything I needed for dinner. Matteo left this morning and hasn't come back yet. I've been here by myself.

I start gathering the food I prepared and take it over to the refrigerator. I shove all the food in there and put all the desserts onto the counter. I turn out the lights and make my way into the living room. I get myself onto the couch and cover myself with the throw blanket. The warm fire from the fireplace illuminates the room.

There are presents under the tree. I'm sure they are supposed to be open tonight with all my favorite people. I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

I think I am slowly starting to hate Christmas. It's slowly taking the spot of my most hated holiday which is Easter. I could care less about either right now.

"She should be in the dining room eating," Matteo's voice fills my ears as the front door creeks open. "Laura was supposed to come over and make dinner."

"It's quiet in here. I thought she would be blaring Christmas music," Gio replies.

"Maybe she wanted to eat in silence," Grace suggests.

Idiots. All of them. Christmas is ruined forever.

"She's not in the dining room," Matteo replies. "There is nothing in the dining room."

"She's asleep," Grace murmurs.

"Great," Matteo mutters.

"Don't get an attitude because you forgot to come home!" Grace whisper yells. "This is your fault."

"My fault? I'm sorry I spent all day trying to protect her and keep her safe. Next, I will let whoever is after me kill her," Matteo replies. "I'm not good at these things."

"You suck at relationships. You are literally the worst! I have to depend on you two to come to pick me up. I'm late because of you two. I missed the extravagant Christmas that I planned for her! This was to cheer her up!" Grace yells in her gravely angry voice. "Now, we missed dinner, opening presents, and watching a Christmas movie!"

The front door slams shut seconds later. I slowly sit up. I don't turn around or even acknowledge them.

I just want to lay in bed. I don't think I can muster up the strength to even deal with them. I get myself into the wheelchair and wheel myself out of the living room. I go into the guest bedroom and close the door. I wheel myself over to the bed and get myself onto bed. I get myself under the cover and stare up at the ceiling.

"Audriana," Matteo whispers. "I'm so fucking sorry. I got caught up with the business and making sure you were protected."

I don't say anything. Ignoring him is my best option right now. I don't even want to look at him. I'm being petty but what the fuck am I supposed to do? I just wanted a damn dinner.