Chapter Twenty-Five: No change, I can change

No change, I can change
I can change, I can change
But I'm here in my mold
I am here in my mold
But I'm a million different people
From one day to the next
I can't change my mold
No, no, no, no, no
(Have you ever been down?)

Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
*unedited* (word count:)

Audriana

"Where the hell is my fucking best friend?!" I scream as Matteo stares at me. "She doesn't just make spontaneous trips!"

"Will you calm down?!" He yells back. "I will find her. You just have to give me time. There are cameras all over the place. They must have caught something."

"It's been a week. She could be dead and all you want to do is prance around and play games," I reply. "If I could go out and find her then I would."

Matteo groans as he sits in his chair. He looks at his computer and types away. I go to wheel myself out of the room as my phone rings. I pick it up and immediately answer.

"Audriana," Grace's voice comes through.

"Grace. Where are you? Why did you leave?" I ask.

"Calm down. I only have a few minutes," she replies. "I'm fine, but I didn't leave on my own free will. I was taken. I haven't figured out who has taken me, but I don't think I am in New York anymore. I was knocked out for a while and woke up in a dark room."

"Is that all you can tell me?" I ask.

"Yes, for now. I will call you again when I can. Don't expect a phone call either. Who knows when I will be able to call you again? Don't wait on me," she replies. "I'll be okay."

"Are you sure? I can come and find you," I reply.

"Audriana, STOP! I don't want you here. I don't want you in my life right now. I don't want you to come to save me. I'm fine. Keep your ass in New York," she yells. "I have to go. Don't expect much."

The line goes dead. I turn and look at Matteo. He curiously looks at me. Tears fall from my eyes as I sniffle. He stands up and makes his way over to me. He drops to my level and wraps his arms around me.

"She doesn't want my help. She doesn't want me at all. She wants nothing to do with me," I cry. "What did I do? What could I have possibly done to her for her to feel like this?"

"Do not blame yourself. This doesn't sound like her. I can still find her if you want me to, but if she doesn't want you there or around her then you need to respect that," he replies. "You have kids you need to worry about. You can't be carefree and reckless now."

"I just want my fucking best friend back," I murmur. "What am I supposed to do without her?"

"Move on. That is all you can do," he replies. "How about you and I go see the triplets? We can get dinner afterward and come back here. We can take a warm bath and relax."

He moves away from me as I wipe my eyes. He kisses my forehead and goes back to his desk. I leave the room and go into the living room. I turn on the TV as the doorbell rings. I wheel myself over to the door. I unlock the door and slowly open it.

My dad stands there with a bag of candy. I move out of the way and let him in. He looks around as he closes the door behind him. He hands me the bag of candy and scrunches up his face.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I came to see you. I heard about what Alex said to you," he replies. "I couldn't work up the courage to come that night."