Chapter Twenty-Two: Send your dreams where nobody hides

Send your dreams where nobody hides
Give your tears to the tide
No time
No time
There's no end, there is no goodbye
Disappear with the night
No time
No time
No time
No time
No time

Wait by M83
*unedited* (word count:)

MATTEO

I've seen people bleed out on cold concrete and many people gutted. I've never watched a surgery before. I don't think this is something I would watch often. Audriana can't feel anything. She's nervous and should be. She's delivering three babies prematurely. She wants a complete video of the whole thing. I guess she is into that sort of thing.

"What's it look like?" Audriana whispers.

"Nasty," I reply. "It's also very intriguing."

"Baby A is a girl!" The doctor semi-yells.

"Meilani Summer Grace," Audriana murmurs. "What does she look like?"

I look over as the nurse carries baby A off. She's tiny. She's no bigger than my hand. I don't know if I should tell her.

"I can't tell from here," I reply.

"Baby B is a boy!" The doctor yells.

I look at baby B. He's a lot bigger than Meilani. He has a big head. He no doubt gets that from his mom.

"Dominic," I suggest.

"Cute," she replies. "I like it."

"He has a big head just like you," I whisper.

"Your head is literally the size of a damn watermelon," Audriana snaps back.

"Baby C is a boy!" The doctor yells.

He's smaller than both Meilani and Dominic. He almost doesn't look like a baby. I'm a little concerned and anxious. What if the babies don't make it? Audriana is going to blame herself and we can't have that. It's my fault she was attacked. Her coming back here too early was a mistake. There are tons of people that want to hurt me.

"Lorenzo," I whisper.

"Enzo for short," she replies.

She smiles at me as her eyes go lifeless. The monitors begin to go off making the doctor and nurses run around. I squeeze her hand but she doesn't move.

"Audriana," I whisper. "Don't do this. Come on, Audriana."

"Sir, we need you to leave the room," a nurse informs me as she tries to pull me away. "SIR!"

I'm dragged out of the OR and stopped from re-entering. I stand here in this lonely white hallway dumbfounded. Sadness and anxiety take over my body as I wait for someone to come out of the OR.

No one comes. I only see movement from the small glass window. I'm not going to lose her. I won't let her go. She is mine forever as I am hers.

This is the moment I fully commit to her. I'm not turning back. I'm not stepping out and I'm definitely not taking her for granted. I just need to prove it and show her that I am willing to commit to her one hundred percent. I am hers. I want her to want me the way she wanted me before what happened.

"Come on, Mr. Rossi, let's go see your babies," a nurse pulls me from my thoughts.

"Are they okay?" I ask.

"They are in the NICU," she replies. "They are running tests on the babies but you can look at them through the window."

"What about my wife?" I ask as I follow behind her.