Chapter 22 - Army of Animagi

"Step 1: Do your homework......in Transfiguration and Potions at least. Becoming an Animagus requires a witch or wizard to be skilled in both these areas in order to stand a chance of achieving such a complex transformation.Step 2: Carry a single Mandrake leaf in your mouth......for an entire month – from full moon to full moon to be precise. Yes, we're serious. If you swallow the leaf or remove it from your mouth at any point, you have to start the whole thing again (no-one likes to see that happen). You then have to find a 'small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon', put your saliva-filled leaf inside, and add one of your own hairs.Step 3: Add a silver teaspoon of dew from a place that neither sunlight nor human feet have touched......for a full seven days. And if that wasn't hard enough, you then have to add the chrysalis of a Death's-head Hawk Moth to the crystal phial as well. Then put 'this mixture in a quiet, dark place' and leave it alone until the next electrical storm. And really leave it alone – don't even look at it. Don't even think about looking at it.Step 4: While waiting for the transfiguration to begin, you must place your wand tip over your heart......every sunrise and sundown and speak the following incantation: 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus'. If you keep repeating your incantation, 'there will come a time when, with the touch of the wand-tip to the chest, a second heartbeat may be sensed.' Don't change anything! Keep going. Keep waiting for that storm!Step 5: As soon as lightning appears in the sky, go to the place where......you've hidden your crystal phial. At last! If you've done everything right then you will 'discover a mouthful of blood-red potion inside it.' Then move somewhere where you aren't going to alarm anyone or place yourself in physical danger during your transformation. An Animagus transformation party is definitely a bad idea.Step 6: Place your wand-tip against your heart and speak......the incantation 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus' and drink the potion. You will then feel fiery pain – lucky you – and an intense double heartbeat.Step 7: The shape of the creature into which you will shortly transform will appear......in your mind. The instructions then warn: 'You must show no fear/ It is too late now, to escape the change you have willed'. Yikes!Step 8: When your transformation is complete you are strongly advised to pick up your wand......and hide it somewhere safe, so you can find it post-transformation. To return to human form, visualise your human self as clearly as you can. Don't worry if you don't change back immediately, 'with practice, you will be able to slip in and out of your animal form at will, simply by visualising the creature'. Once you're an advanced Animagus, you should be able to transform without your wand." Talia muttered those steps to herself every free moment she had spare, then she repeated those steps to every single member of the DA and handed them each their own copy of the instructions. 

"Do not lose these, I will not be replacing them. There is a full moon in exactly three days. You will need to see Professor Sprout for the mandrake leaves but then you must take your cauldrons up to the girls bathroom up on the fifth floor, ignore Myrtle. She's harmless and lonely." Talia instructed in a stern tone, like a parent talking to a naughty child. "Also remember that not everyone will become an Animagus on the first try. If you keep a tight hold on your instructions you will be able to attempt it again" Hermione reassured people as she looked at her own instruction pamphlet. "Because of this we won't be meeting again until people have had time to gather ingredients" Harry announced as he wandered around the room. "Also so that the likes of Professor Umbridge and Draco Malfoy don't get wind of what's going on, you want to try and stagger out when you all try to change. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginny and myself will be the first group to attempt it. You can work it out amongst yourselves who will attempt it at the next full moon" Talia continued as she made her way back to the front of the group. "This is to make sure that no one gets caught and given detention. Aside from Professor Umbridge, all other Professors will know what to look out for; however, if you have more than two classes together make sure that you alternate within your group to be the ones to have the mandrake leaf." Hermione remembered, being the most concerned with her fellow students education.

After the meeting everyone dispersed to their Common Rooms before dinner but in the crowd, Hermione lost sight of Talia. "I wonder where she disappears off to" Hermione wondered to herself. Talia dove into an empty classroom waiting for the crowd to disperse before heading towards her secret hideout to have some time to herself, except she wasn't going to be alone.