Chapter 1: The Birthday Party

July 27th 1991 - 11 years later

"Talia are you coming down or aren't we celebrating your birthday this year?!" her mother called from the bottom of the stairs. "I'm coming, Mum! Just trying to find something to wear!" Talia called back as she threw things on her bed from her wardrobe. "Is she not down yet?" A familiar voice boomed from the kitchen. "Why don't you go get her? She seems to move faster when she knows you're here" Cassandra huffed as she rolled her eyes. Chuckling to himself, Remus climbed the staircase to Talia's room, a task he's done numerous times before it had almost become routine. "Are you not ready yet Ladybug?" Remus questioned as he knocked on Talia's bedroom door. "Just trying to find something different to wear, Uncle Moony" Talia sang as she shot around her room. "What about these?" Remus suggested as he held up a red tartan skirt and a white long sleeved t-shirt. "That's perfect!" Talia squealed as she took them out of his hands. "I'll leave you to change, Ladybug but please try to hurry, your guests shall be arriving shortly" Remus chuckled as he shook his head watching his goddaughter run into her ensuite bathroom. "Can I get some help please, Uncle Remmy?" Talia's younger sister, Isabelle called from her bedroom as she tried to buckle up a pair of shoes by herself. Moments later, when everyone was waiting in the kitchen, a very bouncy Talia made her presence known. "Happy Birthday" Everyone called out as Talia came into view. After Talia had opened all of her presents and thanked everyone she could, her mother pulled her aside and handed her an envelope. "Your Uncle and I have been waiting for you to receive this letter since the day you were born. Now you're finally old enough" Cassandra smiled, excited for her daughter as she handed her the tea and ink stained envelope.

Miss T Black

12 Grimmauld Place

London

Talia quickly flips the letter over to see the Hogwarts House Crests, perfectly printed into a vibrant red wax seal, she runs her fingers over it and feels the indentation it has left before carefully opening the letter hoping to preserve the seal.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

HEADMASTER: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Miss Black,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Head Mistress

Hurriedly Talia raced upstairs to find a piece of paper and a pen, writing a neat reply before rushing back downstairs to hand the letter to her mother before moving on to see what she would be needing for her first year at Hogwarts.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

Three sets of plain work robes (black)

One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

SET BOOKS

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 Wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

"Can we go and get my things tonight?" Talia exclaimed as she bounced in place. "Easy there, Ladybug, come and enjoy the rest of your party, I'll take you to Diagon Alley tomorrow" Remus chuckled as he watched her exude enthusiasm. "Okay Uncle Moony!" Talia yelled as she ran towards the back garden to finish up playing with her friends and cousins. "You know you're going to have to send a letter to Minerva asking her not to reveal who Talia's father is until you feel she's old enough right?" Remus sighed as he turned to Cassandra. "I don't even know why Minnie put his name on there, he isn't on her birth certificate" Cassandra groaned as she sat down on a kitchen chair. "You've become far too accustomed to Muggle life, Cassie, you have to remember that things work differently in the Wizarding World." Remus sighed as he sat beside her, immediately taking her hand in his. "You can talk, Moony, you spend most of your time here. Have you even been to the Ministry since Talia was born?" Cassandra questioned as she began to clear the paper plates into the bin. "I go in occasionally" Remus mumbled watching her every movement before getting up to give her a hand. "So where do you go when you aren't here? Actually never mind I can probably guess" Cassandra chuckled as she shook her head. "Look, I made you a promise the day that Talia was born and I stand by that." Remus mumbled as he grabbed another rubbish bag for the rest of the rubbish. Once the kitchen looked though it was back to normality, Cassandra and Remus paused as they just watched Talia pick up Isabelle after she had fallen over a loose stone. Talia looked over Isabelle but then just sent her on her way and resumed playing almost as if nothing had ever happened. "Do you know what I regret the most?" Cassandra hummed later that evening when the kids were in bed. "What?" Remus quizzed as he started pulling his coat on to leave "I regret not insisting to Albus that I be the one to take Harry in instead of the Dursley's." Cassandra all but whispered as she untucked his jacket collar. "You weren't in the right sort of mind frame, Cas. None of us were. We had all just lost Lily and James, Sirius was put in Azkaban and I've been trying to find a way to get him acquitted but it's been so difficult, the Ministry literally put the highest level of security around the incident reports, they're just too afraid of what Tom Riddle became." Remus sighed as he held her for a moment. If someone had walked in at that moment they would have thought that the pair were going to kiss passionately and run off for a romantic rendezvous, except that wasn't what happened. Remus kissed Cassandra on the forehead before buttoning up his coat and leaving.