Prologue

Regulus opens his eyes to the familiar green light and sound of waves. He stretches, and his gaze lands on Evan's poster bed across the room. Barty has his head on Evan's chest and Evan's arms around him.

It is a picture he has become familiar with since Barty's nightmares came back at the beginning of the year, and he often didn't feel safe sleeping alone. It has been some time since Barty hasn't had a nightmare, but they continue to sleep together.

When Evan opens his eyes and tries to wake Barty up, Barty just clutches Evan even more.

Evan starts whispering in Barty's ear, and after some time he opens his eyes and smiles at Evan. They get up, and Evan is getting ready, but Barty lets himself fall on the bed again.

"Barty, you really have to hurry up, or we will be late to Transfiguration", says Regulus, smiling, "You know McGonagall is perfectly capable of giving us a detention even if we are just two minutes late".

"You'll see, I'll be ready before the both of you", says Barty, grinning as he starts getting dressed.

"Barty, I have to tell you something", says Evan, looking at the floor.

"That sounds ominous".

But Evan doesn't laugh and goes on to say: "No, no, it's nothing. It's just... Well, you see, I'd prefer if you didn't sleep with me anymore". Regulus looks at him in surprise.

"I just need more space at night, you take all the bed and end up being over me, and you know I love you and I want to help you when I can... I didn't want to say anything, but it has become really hard for me to sleep".

Regulus glances at Barty, he's standing still, his eyes darker.

"Okay. No problem. Message received", says Barty flatly. "I didn't know I was bothering you, I'm really sorry", he says, as he almost tears his shirt, tugging it with too much force. Evan is still in the middle of the room, and his eyes look watery.

"I didn't want to cause you any trouble, and rest assured, I will not invade your space anymore", adds Barty while fighting with his tie.

When they are ready, the three boys exit the dorm and then stay silent all the way to the Great Hall.

As they join Dorcas and Pandora, Regulus whispers to Evan: "Are you okay?"

Evan nods. "Do you think Barty is?"

"He will be. It's a tender spot".

"It came out all wrong. I hope he's not too mad at me".

"No, I'm sure he isn't. Don't worry", says Regulus, squeezing his arm.

Barty is silent and staring at his breakfast while Pandora is telling Dorcas about her new partner in Divination, who is apparently very funny and with whom she quickly became friends. "His name is also funny, but like in a cute way: it's Xenophilius. How peculiar is that?"

"You know, I think I've met him. He's friends with Marlene"

"Oh, so you and Marlene hang out a lot?

"Well, sometimes..." says Dorcas blushing.

Pandora can't help turning around to look for Marlene at the Gryffindor table and suddenly says, "Reg, there is someone staring at you, and none of you will ever guess who".

They all immediately turn towards the other side of the room, but whoever it was must have looked away after being caught.

"Who was it, Dora?", says Dorcas.

"James Potter", she says, grinning.

They all freeze like someone had cast a Stupefy.

"Potter? Are you sure?" says Dorcas.