Chapter 21 Christmas

Chapter 21

Christmas

Christmas morning found Se-ri in the kitchen making breakfast. It was something she started doing and she found it enjoyable. It was not a fancy breakfast, scrambled eggs, toast and coffee. Lisa had shown her how to scramble eggs and she could now do a decent job. Oh, but the coffee. Lisa was adamant about coffee. She showed her how to use a coffee grinder and grind the beans every morning so it was fresh. She showed her how to use a French Press, the water temperature had to be between 195F and 205F, rinse the French Press with the hot water, add two scoops of ground coffee, stir, let sit for exactly four minutes and use a timer, then pour in a cup. Lisa gifted her the coffee grinder, French Press, Kettle that heats water to the correct temperature and a timer. But, the crème de le crème was the little battery operated Italian whisk that she used to whisk the half and half and pour over hot coffee, that was the best thing. The cold half and half and the hot coffee, what a treat. It was her ritual every morning, making her coffee. If she could not have Jeong hyeok coffee, her coffee ritual was the next best thing.

She was going to Lisa for lunch and she was glad that it was going to be lowkey as Lisa described it. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas was busy, both with work and her personal life.

She arrived at Lisa's house looking forward to lunch, Lisa had not told her what she was serving. She was surprised to see David there.

"David, what a surprise. I thought you would be with your family."

"My mom asked me to bring some things for Lisa, that she needed for Christmas lunch."

"Se-ri, is that you? I am in the kitchen, come get something to drink. David brought a wonderful bottle of wine. David, can..."

"I know, open the bottle. She is bossy, isn't she? But bossy in a nice way."

"Let's go eat, everything is on the table."

When Se-ri saw the table, she stopped and looked at Lisa.

"Lisa, when did you do all this?"

"I did not do all of it. David's mom and aunt did most of it. They made the kimchi and all the sides, I did the kimchi fried rice, pajeon, ham, au gratin potatoes, roasted vegetables."

Se-ri looked at Lisa and David.

"You gave me a little of Korea. I was not expecting this, thank you. Let's eat."

"Lisa, the kimchi fried rice is so good. Can you teach me how to make it?"

"Sure, it's easy. When you are having a bad day, it is the best thing to eat, it is good comfort food."

"What is comfort food?"

"When I have a bad day at work, I come home and make Kimchi fried rice. After eating it, I feel much better. At work, when I am having a bad day, I eat a little chocolate, it makes me feel better. It is food that after you eat it, you feel better."

"I will have to think about what my comfort food would be."

Right then, David asked,

"What are we doing for New Year's? How about we go skiing?"

"You have skiing here? We are at the beach."

"Oh, yes we have skiing here. It is quite a drive, but it's a beautiful drive," Lisa answered.

Se-ri looked at them, the biggest smile

"When are we going?"

"How about around December 28?"

"Ok, I will go under one condition."

"What is that?" Lisa asked

"We will stay at the most luxurious hotel. This is my treat, I will pay for everything, hotel, food, spa, skiing and whatever else we do or need."

"Se-ri, that is too much. We can't have you paying for everything."

"Okay, you can pay for the gas. You have helped me so much; my time here has been so enjoyable. Lisa, that first day I met you, you helped me with a panic attack and you have been my friend since. You included me in your life. David, you showed me what family is. You shared your family with me. I had never experienced those things until now. You have no idea what this has done for me. The least I can do is to pay for our ski trip."

David and Lisa were both looking at Se-ri and thinking of what she said. They had family and friends who loved them. They could not imagine the kind of life Se-ri had lived. They were each thinking of ways to show her more of what it meant to be family and friend. David thought about the upcoming DNA results. He hoped his aunt Annette was her biological mother, so she could have a family.

"Okay, Se-ri, your treat. "

"David, here is my card, call the hotel and make the reservations, three very nice rooms. If they have suites, that would be better."