Chapter 10 Picking Up The Pieces

California

Se-ri arrived in California in October of that year, longing for some calm in her life. She had leased a house overlooking the ocean in the town she always wanted to visit. When she opened the front door and entered the house, she took a deep breath. She looked at the view and had to pinch herself, she could not believe what she was looking at. There were no walls in front of her, it was all glass, huge sliding doors from ceiling to floor and wall to wall. The wide expanse of the Pacific Ocean greeted her. She looked around and was pleased with what she saw. The furnishings were in neutral colors, the kitchen well equipped. She moved from room to room, the master bedroom had an ocean view with the master bed positioned to take advantage of the view, with ceiling to floor sliding doors and the bathroom was pure luxury. The office also had an ocean view, she would move the desk to take advantage of the view and with glass sliding doors from wall to wall that can be opened to take advantage of the ocean breeze. She started unpacking her suitcase and putting her clothes in the walk-in closet in the master bedroom. She went to the kitchen and there was a bottle of wine, a wine glass and a wine bottle opener with a Welcome Note from the agent. She opened the bottle, poured herself a glass and sat on the couch looking out at the ocean remembering the last few months.

She arrived in South Korea from Swiss, tired but feeling that she had accomplished something extraordinary with the scholarship and she was happy with the results. Her thoughts went to Jeong hyeok and their encounters. She thought, maybe it is time to do something different. She wanted to talk to her mother about her plans. Just then her phone rang and it was her mother.

"Oh, Eomma, I was thinking of you"

"Why? Was Jeong hyeok there? Did he come?

"Yes, he was there with his fiancée and parents."

Her mother was silent. "Why is he engaged?

"To keep him safe, he is being scrutinized. They thought if he was engaged it would help him."

"Se-ri, how are you doing?"

"I don't know. I don't know what I feel, I don't know what to think. I feel disconnected. Do you remember me talking about a small town in California that is on the coast?"

"Yes, you said you would like to visit. That was a long time ago you talked about that. That desire to visit stayed with you all these years?"

"Yes, I would like to live there for a year. I need to experience something different, live in a place that is new to me, plus, it would be good for my English."

"When would you leave?"

"When I find a house, and set things so I can work remotely. I will be back for a couple weeks every three months."

"