Chapter 28 Swiss

August arrived and it was time to go to Swiss. Se-ri was apprehensive, what would she find? Would he be there? And his fiancée? And the parents? Se-ri, she says, the only way you will get your answers, is in Swiss.

She and Annette arrived in Switzerland and checked into their hotel. Se-ri had a suite next to Annette. She was happy to give Annette a vacation in the place she loved. She had not told Annette about her history with Switzerland nor about Jeong hyeok nor about the details about her family. She knew that the time would come when she would have to come clean with her.

They went to the opening ceremony of the Queens and Seri Choice Music Scholarship. They had decided that Se-ri would introduce Annette as a distant aunt. Hans was there to welcome her and she introduced Annette as her distant aunt.

"Hans, are the same people here? Any one new?"
"The same and we have some newcomers."

"How many participants?"

"We have forty and from what I gather, they are talented."

"Are last year's winners to perform at the concert? It would be nice to see their progress."

"Yes, they are going to perform together."

Se-ri smiled, "That's good. I will look forward to their performance."

"Annette, I have to greet all the participants and their teachers, I will meet you for dinner later at the hotel."

Annette, smiled at her and nodded. She was proud of her daughter and what she had accomplished. She could not wait to tell the others back home what she witnessed.

Hans guided Se-ri to meet the students and teachers. There were two students from N Korea and three from S Korea. She did not see Jeong hyeok and she did not want to ask Hans. Where are you? Are you safe?

"Hans, are all the participants here?"

"No, the Ris are not here. Do you remember them from last year?"

"Yes, the parents were very pleasant and his fiancée. He played at the closing ceremony."

They were almost finished greeting the participants and the teachers when she heard that voice. She froze and dared not look. It was Hans who turned around and smiled.

"Mr. Ri, you made it. It is a pleasure to see you again. And I see your parents are here."

Se-ri turned around and acknowledged him and his parents. She did not see the fiancée; did she stay at home? Maybe she was pregnant or had a baby?

"Miss Yoon, it is good to see you again."

"Likewise, Mr. Ri." She turned to his parents "Welcome, thank you for coming."

"The pleasure is ours, Miss Yoon." His mother answered.

Annette found Se-ri who was almost finished greeting the students and their teachers.

"Are you ready for dinner?" asked Annette

"Yes, let's go. I am hungry."

"Se-ri, how do keep up with everything?"

"Hans helps a lot. If you want to listen to the students when they are performing you can. I listen to all the students. They are very talented students."

They were eating when she heard that voice followed by his father's voice. She wanted to disappear. Annette looked at her. "Are you ok?"

"Yes, everything is fine."

"Miss Yoon, will you and your companion please join us for dinner?"

She looked at him with surprise on her face. Annette noticed.

"Is it safe for you? Won't it be dangerous if you are seen having dinner with me?" She whispered.

"It will be fine. We will be safe."

"Mr. Ri, thank you for your offer, but I will have to decline. I would prefer you and your family be safe. If my having dinner with you and your family would be dangerous for you, I won't have dinner with you. In a safer place I would gladly accept."

Mr. Ri smiled at her and bowed his head. She looked at Jeong hyeok and her heart melted. She wanted to go to him and give him the biggest hug and hold him tight. They looked at each other each with yearning. They smiled at each other and the Ris went to their table.

Annette saw the whole interaction. And the Korean accent, it wasn't what she is used to.

"Se-ri, what was that all about?"

"I don't know what you are talking about."

Annette gave her a puzzled look. Se-ri squeezed her hand and they ate their dinner.