Chapter 16 Thanksgiving Plans

It was November and Thanksgiving was almost upon them. Se-ri was looking forward to the holiday because she had never experienced the Thanksgiving holiday. They had talked about having Thanksgiving at Lisa's house with David's family. But he had invited her and Lisa to his family for Thanksgiving. She was torn. David had been so good to her and she wanted to meet his family, it would be nice to spend the holiday with people from her country. On the other hand, she wanted to spend it with Lisa. In the time she had gotten to know her, she was impressed with the woman. She was outspoken and she did not mince words. She had seen her talk with David and her friends. Lisa had Se-ri over on a Friday evening to watch the sunset and she had invited her friends. They were all nice women and she enjoyed her time with them. Lisa put on a good spread. Crostini with goat cheese and fig preserve, Jamaican Patties, meatballs with the most heavenly dipping sauce and hamburger sliders. And of course, chilled white wine. She loved to entertain and for her, food was an important part of that. She would say, good food, good company, good wine, what more can one ask for? Her friends were in high spirits, it was Friday and the weekend about to start. By the conversation, they knew what was going on in each other's life.

"Betty, how have you been?"

"Not good. It's getting worse."

"When are you going to leave?"

"I don't know. I know I have to, but I don't have the courage."

Lisa went over to her friend and held her hand. "Betty, you can come here and stay as long as you like. I don't have a student at the moment. The longer you stay is the worse it will get. I am worried about your safety."

"I know."

"Betty, I have been there, done that. It is not easy, I had my family to help me. Let me help you. I know some good attorneys who will take your case pro bono. I have talked to a few of them and they are willing to help." said Toni.

Betty looked at her, and started to cry. "Thank you".

Lisa looked at all of them, "Ladies, you know the rule, what we talk about here, stays here." It was the only rule Lisa had. She wanted a safe space for her friends to talk freely, without judgement, a safe space for them without fear that what was said would stay there.

Se-ri felt that was a place where if she needed to talk about her most inner most secrets she would be able to. She had never had women friends with whom she could share. This was a new experience for her and she was so grateful that Lisa helped her that day in the grocery store.

Se-ri looked at the group and said," I feel safe here and I have something I would like to share. Lisa, you invited David and his family to spend Thanksgiving at your place. David asked me to spend Thanksgiving with his family. I would like to go, his parents and aunt are from Korea. It would be nice to spend Thanksgiving with Koreans. On the other hand, I don't know if I am ready to spend time with them. Lisa asked me to spend Thanksgiving with her and I would love too."

'Why are you not ready to spend Thanksgiving with David's family?" Brenda asked

"I don't want to answer questions they may ask. Like, why did you take a year off? Do you have family in Korea? What do you do?"

Brenda looked at Lisa. "Why don't you go with her to spend Thanksgiving with David's family? You would be able to control the conversation."

"Se-ri, do you want to go to David's family for Thanksgiving?"

"Yes, but I am afraid to"

"Would you like me to come with you? I know the whole family. His parents, his sister, his aunt, uncle and cousins."

"Yes, I would like you to come with me, I would feel more comfortable."

"Okay, I will be happy to come with you. I will tell David and get the time and place. I will also call his mother and ask her what I could bring."

Se-ri looked at her and smiled with the eye smile, "Thank you." She was happy that was sorted out.

She left in a good mood and when she got home, she started to think what she would wear for Thanksgiving. Noting over the top, but not too casual either.

Her phone rang and she saw it was David. "David, how are you?"

"Good, I just got a call from Lisa, you guys are coming to my Aunt Annette for Thanksgiving. You will meet my parents, sister, aunt, uncle and my cousins. You sure you won't be overwhelmed?"

"Lisa will be there. It should be fine. What time do we have to be there?"

"Five o'clock. Lisa knows how to get to my parents house. I booked a couple of rooms at a really good hotel if it is too late for Lisa to drive home. Bring an overnight bag and I also told Lisa the same. She said she is looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with you and my family. I have a couple of days off this week, want to play tourist?"

"Will we have time before Thanksgiving?"

"Yes, Thanksgiving is next week."

"Yes, I will play tourist. Where are we going?"

"South"