Chapter 25 The Results

Se-ri made her coffee, which had become her morning ritual. She stood in her favorite spot, looking at the ocean and the aroma of the coffee was just what she needed.

There were some white caps. That is what she loved about her spot, seeing the many faces of the ocean. "You look good today, it is going to be a good day," she said to the ocean. She thought of the envelope on the dining table, she did not want to know, not right now. She thought how the results would not only change her life, but her family's. And what about Annette and her family? How would Dominic and Rachael feel about having a sister. And what about Kate and her family? David knew what was going on but what about Sara? How would she feel about having another cousin?

She would have to wait to see what happens. One thing she learned was that she would let things play out. Right then her phone rang and it was Lisa.

"Se-ri, what are you doing on Friday?"

"I don't have any plans."

"Good, we are going bowling. Have you ever bowled?"

"No. I saw it on TV, it seems like fun."

"David will be in town. I will pick you up."

"Okay, see you on Friday."

She walked to the table and picked up the envelope, debating if she should open it. She put the envelope down and went to her office and started working on her emails. The results could wait. Did Annette get her results, did she open it? Surely, she would call her if she got the results. But she may be doing what she herself was doing. Putting off opening the envelope, there was the possibility for so much to change. Ah, Se-ri, work on your emails, she said to herself.

They got to the bowling alley on Friday and David was there waiting for them. She had fun, had a lot of gutter balls and missed nearly every pin. But it was fun trying to hit the pins.

The next morning, Se-ri was again at her favorite spot with her cup of coffee looking at her favorite sight, the ocean. It was flat, no white caps, not even a ripple. Her thoughts went to the envelope, It's time to open it and read the results. She looked at the ocean and said, "You are so calm, please give me some of that calmness." She turned and went to the table to get the envelope. She went back to her favorite spot, opened the envelope and read the results.

"Is not excluded as the biological mother. Probability of Paternity 99.9%"

There it is, she thought. "Annette is my biological mother. Now what? Should I call her?"

She felt a headache coming on, put on a jacket and headed out. She was going for walk on the beach, it always calmed her. At that time of the morning there won't many people about, it would be quiet and she needed that. Just then a thought hit her. She wasn't so anxious about Jeong hyeok, yes she did love him, think about him and wondered how he was doing and wished him all the happiness in the world. She realised the trip was helping her and it was a wise decision to come here. The same people walked on the beach at the same time as she did, she did not know them but they acknowledge each other, with a smile or with a hello. She stopped walking and turned to look at the ocean. She now felt at peace thinking about the results. She had always wanted to know about her biological mother and now she knew who she was. She decided it was time to go home and call Annette.