5. The Future Starts Today

The journey through the Fold started off extremely rocky. In the small room Wysteria was residing in, the only source of light had been drowned out by the darkness of the Fold.

She simply had to sit there in the dark, alone with her thoughts and listening to the sounds of the Volcra around the boat.

Considering she was moving, she had assumed the two men hadn't ratted her out which was the only positive thing she could think to focus on as a panic began to settle in once again.

Wysteria had spent her life, like so many others, terrified of the Fold.

However, her reason for fear was unique. It was mainly due to the way her father forced her to interact with it and the monsters that lurked inside.

Ever since Wysteria committed an action she was too scared to even remember but was constantly reminded of by her small section of jet-black hair, her father had been adamant in experimenting with the relationship between the Fold and her abilities.

She still remembers the first day he bought her there.

"Take a good look, my darling", Kirigan spoke to the young girl standing next to him, clutching his hand in fear.

The young girl looked up at a wall she could only describe as moving shadow. It looked as if a nightmare gained a physical appearance.

"This is our future".

The young girl looked up at him with confusion causing him to kneel to reach her height.

"This is the Fold, and it listens to us", he began to explain.

"Because we control the shadows?" the girl questioned.

"Exactly, my darling. And today, you are going to try to prove yourself to it".

The girl looked away from her father and faced the dark wall that reached up past the clouds.

"I don't know how", she whispered.

"Do you remember what happened with Mace?"

That question caused the young girl to lower her eyes and reach for the part of her hair that did indeed cause her to remember. Her father read her actions and continued.

"What you did then you must try to do now. What you need to do is inside you, my darling. You only need to listen to it".

That's when the General looked over his shoulder towards two guards and signalled them over.

They both grabbed the young girl who was still reminiscing on her father's words and picked her up.

She quickly realized they were dragging her onto a cart that was connected to a railway of sorts which headed into the Fold.

She was sat down and strapped into the cart by the waist, restricting her from getting up.

"Da, what's going on?" young Wysteria asked her father.

"It's your time, my darling. You will enter and you will not come back out until another strand of your hair is black".

With those words, the cart began to move towards the Fold and took Wysteria with it.

No amount of struggle or screaming stopped the cart, and before she knew it, she was enveloped in the darkness left only with the screeching sounds of monsters.

__________<>__________

Wysteria awoke drenched in sweat. She couldn't tell if it was from the heat in the skiff she was still hidden in or the panic from the memory she dreamt of.