6. A Girl Called Inej

Wysteria had found a boat to Ketterdam fairly easily with a little more help from Gerik and Demius.

Before she boarded the boat to take her over the True Sea, they had told her of a pocket watch that had belonged to one of their other friends, Rowan. He was killed in the war and that pocket watch was the only thing they had left of him.

They had made a deal with Kaz Brekker a few months ago.

In exchange for a boat they could take to sail back to Os Kervo, he asked for the pocket watch he saw them clinging to like it was their lifeline. Kaz Brekker was known to be purely interested in kruge and so to ask for the pocket watch was confusing for the two men. However, Kaz saw their aversion to giving up the watch and set a price they couldn't pay for the boat. They had no choice but to give it up.

Wysteria became angered by the way this so-called man had torn something so precious from strangers purely for his own amusement.

She was told that she would find him at a place called the Crow Club, which she could locate easily by asking literally anyone in Ketterdam for directions.

The two unsuspecting friends she had made issued her a final warning, which she hastily dismissed.

Just as she was leaving, she shook hands with Gerik and Demius, promising she would find a way to return the watch to them and allow them to grieve in peace.

"Wait, we never caught your name, blondie?" Gerik yelled as she was walking up the dock.

Wysteria stopped for a second, not wanting to reveal her real name to anyone whilst she was just about to start her new life.

Eventually she turned around and yelled back, "Winnie. My name is Winnie Marth".

And with that, she boarded the boat and sailed across to Ketterdam to find this Mr Brekker.

__________<>__________

Damp, grey, crowded, and full of danger were the words that sprung to Winnie's mind when she first stepped foot off the boat in Ketterdam.

She was met with all sorts of looks from all sorts of people.

She initially became anxious that they recognised her as the missing Grisha but soon reassured herself that no one knew what she looked like considering she was locked away from the rest of the world her entire life.

Besides, her one outstanding feature was her bright blonde hair, and if that didn't scream I am not a shadow summoner then she didn't know what did.

She kept walking through the crowds until her eyes settled on a sweet looking boy sitting by the docks.

She carefully approached him with a calm expression painted on her face as to not make the boy think she was another one of the more dangerous Ketterdam residents who might have rather approached him.

"Hello there", she spoke gently.

The young boy looked up at her through his unwashed blonde locks which were clearly in desperate need of a trim.

"I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a place called the Crow Club. I am looking for someone who may be there", she asked, maintaining the sweet tone in her voice.

The boy stood up and grabbed her around the corner of her dress and hurriedly pulled her through the crowds, away from the docks.

Confusion was the only emotion that overcame Winnie. Considering this was just a little boy he couldn't possibly be leading her anywhere sinister, could he?