7. The Bastard of the Barrel

As Inej and Winnie approached the Crow Club, Winnie was suddenly hit with a wave of nerves.

She had never really gotten nervous. It was a feeling as foreign to her as love.

Despite what she went through in the Little Palace, the blonde shadow summoner has never felt nervous. Angry, sad, conflicted perhaps. But nervous? No.

So why was this emotion aroused at the thought of meeting this Kaz Brekker. Dirtyhands. Bastard of the Barrel.

She was about to find out.

"Inej, heyyyy."

A voice that was inviting and joking in nature came from one of the men outside guarding the door.

He was a Zemeni man, also around the same age as the two girls who approached him, and Winnie picked up on the two guns strapped round his waist just as quickly as she picked up on Inejs knives.

Saints I really need to arm myself.

"Hello Jesper, is Kaz in?" Inej asked the Zemini guard.

Jesper gave a nod of his head and told the girl he was in his office before turning his attention to the other girl Inej had bought with her.

"Why hello there, sweet stuff", Jesper greeted the mysterious girl.

"It's not often we get girls looking like you coming in here with the likes of Inej", he added.

"She's not with me like that, Jesper. She's looking for Kaz."

"I see, well then allow me to formally introduce myself. Jesper Fahey. Charmer, gun enthusiast and by far the most handsome man you've ever laid eyes on", he extended out a hand towards Winnie.

Winnie let a small smirk creep into the corner of her lips as she stepped towards the gun enthusiast.

"Winnie Marth. Charm resistant with a preference for knives and I've seen better", she stated whilst shaking Jespers hand.

Inej stifled a laugh whilst Jesper let go of Winnie's hand and cleared his throat before adding "I like this one, Inej. She's got fire. Reminds me of Kaz in some ways."

"Yes, exactly! Thank you. I said the same thing", Inej agreed.

"Well, if you're planning on meeting a meaner and far less entertaining male version of you, you should probably hurry up there. His business hours end soon", Jesper remarked.

Winnie nodded and quickly followed Inej inside as Jesper gave her a final wink as if to say good luck.

She found herself suddenly surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the Crow Club. Drunks and gamblers scattered across the floor with many people up at the bar downing their losses in kvas.

She didn't have much time to take in everything as she saw Inej turn round a corner and quietly rush up a set of wooden stairs before getting to a large door at the top.

"Well, here we are", Inej turned round to Winnie.

"I'll be downstairs with Jesper when you're done so come and find me. We can go and find something to replace ... this", she said gesturing to Winnie's torn up dress.

"Thank you, Inej. Truly. I owe you."

"Funny. What was that you were saying earlier about not owing people for something as trivial as directions? Seems like you've already begun adopting the Ketterdam mindset. I'm almost proud", Inej said with a small smile before scooting past Winnie and heading back towards the floor.

Winnie was now alone.

She was standing in front of the office door belonging to the Bastard of the Barrel.