3. Dare to Escape

Being sneaky was always something Wysteria was gifted at.

She had developed a certain sarcastic side to her personality when she was very young and since she was raised in constant captivity, the only way she could ever have a moments peace was by tricking some guard or sneaking into places she shouldn't be.

That's why the first part of her plan worked to a T.

Getting out of her room unnoticed was something she had done a hundred times before, and with the added advantage of no one coming to check on her considering her father's absence, she was sure she would have enough time to get out before anyone realized she was gone.

She found herself silently slipping between the shadows in the hallways to remain unnoticed.

Sure, she despised her ability and refrained from using it at all, but it didn't hurt to use it when escaping literal hell.

In the distance she saw her exit. The gates.

She could practically taste freedom. It tasted like a mixture of stardust and strawberries (a delicacy her father only allowed her for compliance after training).

But in her hopeful haze she got sloppy and found herself knocking a small glass ornament off the side table she was leaning on.

The noise gathered the attention of two guards, one on either side of the hallway as they started towards her.

Shit.

Without having time to think, she made a run for it.

With a swift motion, she squatted down and extended her right leg out, knocking the guard to her left off his feet. Combat training had come in handy, for once.

"Hey! Stop!"

She heard the guards yelling after her as she ran towards the gates.

The fact that there were about twenty guards chasing after her at full speed didn't seem to bother her.

The loose parts of the black dress she had chosen were flailing behind her in the wind, her sun kissed hair also seeming to do the same.

She kept her legs going whilst telling herself that once she gets out of those gates, she would be free, leaving her past behind her.

She was almost there, the taste of freedom returning in full force.

But just as quickly as it came, it was stripped away when a guard appeared out of nowhere in front of her, stopping her in her path.

Before she could run in another direction, she was surrounded by a circle of guards all looking at her with evil intentions and annoyance.

Wysteria kept turning around, not wanting to keep her back to any one guard for longer than a second and put her hands out in front of her as an act of deterrence, as if to remind them what she was and what she could do if any of them got too close for comfort.

One of the guards piped up, "Well, young one, wasn't that a bit of fun".

She turned to face him, glancing at the black snakes that began squirming their way up her arms.

"Well, fun's over. Let's get you back, shall we?" the same guard stated in a menacing tone.

Wysteria let out a scoff, "I don't think so. It is my birthday after all. Can't you all just let me have a bit more fun?" she spit back with a playful, innocent smile.

She noticed the guards inching their way closer to her, trapping her in the circle like a pack of wolves.

The shadows had finally reached the ends of her fingertips and Wysteria could have sworn she heard the faint voice of her father whisper 'Do it'.