Epilogue

NARRATED

It has been a tough couple of months for the Ndlovu family and friends. Having to adjust to a life without Thuthuka in it has been hard to say the least. Yes there are good moments but every time those happen, they feel guilty. Guilty for being happy while he is not here to celebrate with them.

They are yet to live freely without any feelings of guilt. But for now, they can only pray that his soul has rested in eternal peace. A lot of things have happened since the funeral, some good and others bad. It all dates back to a week after the funeral.

Nikiwe was in a dark place after losing her nephew and Mayenziwe was fairly concerned about her. He wanted to be there for her after finding out what a tough time she went through as well as with her family. The lady needed a shoulder to cry on and he wanted to be the one she relies on.

And so he went to her place to see how she was doing but, what he found there completely shut down his hopes of ever having anything romantic with her. A man he knew from business events and other social events, known as Zanothando was the one to open up for him.

He smiled at him, shared greetings and asked if Nikiwe was in. Zano nodded his head and welcomed him in then from thereon led him to the living room where the lady of the house snuggled up on the couch. Since Zano saw that they wanted to have a private conversation, he left them and promised to see her later on that day.

Mayenziwe and Nikiwe shared greetings and hugs. He told her what brought him to her place, which was to share his deepest condolences with her and the rest of her family. An also touched on how he was there to check if she was okay and needed anything. She appreciated the gesture and politely thanked him while turning down his offer of needing anything.

"So Mayenziwe, I'm sure you're asking yourself about the man who just left here.", she started a different conversation with him.

"Zanothando, yes. I know him. I didn't want to ask because I felt like this wasn't the appropriate time to.", he responded.

She lets out a breath, "Well I didn't think you had any idea who he is. But I wanted to tell you that him and I used to date back in the days. Things between us didn't end because of any bad fall out or anything. We decided to part ways because our dreams were way too different. One thing I feel you deserve to know is that, he and I still have feelings for one another."

Mayenziwe gets on his feet and paces to and fro in the living room, "And what does this mean? Are you guys having plans to get back together?"

"Yes, we are still exploring that option and I really want to give us another chance. I feel like he and I both owe it to ourselves to start afresh. This time as better and mature people. I'm really sorry Yenziwe but I didn't want to lead you on.", she says earnestly.

He takes a seat next to her once again and takes her hands into his, "Well thank you for your honesty MaCele. I have enjoyed getting to know you and I hope you and Ndungane treat each other well."

Her eyes fill up with tears as he places a kiss on both her hands, "Thank you Yenziwe but can we at least stay friends? I'm going to miss you."

"I wish that was an option MaCele but I can't.", he sighs, "My feelings for you don't allow me to settle for friendship and that's why I'd rather not be friends. But hey, we can still be civil towards each other and greet one another when we meet at places. I'll always be a part of your life Nikiwe, just not a part of it.", he gives her a chaste kiss on the lips and dashes out the door in speed.

That was the last interaction Nikiwe ever had with Mayenziwe. It was hard for her to let someone as good as he is go, but she owed to herself to be with someone who still made her heart beat irregularly. Her heart still yearned for Zanothando, even after everything they had been through.