Chapter 20: Waiter Jeongguk & Emperor Taehyung

Following the emperor's most trusted servant, Jeongguk feels his heart beating quicker and quicker with every step he takes. He hugs the puppy to his chest only a little tighter, in fear of hurting the little thing, and takes in the scent of fountain water. It has the slightest scent of chlorine.

They then finally halt in front of a door on the second floor, only one floor above the ground.

"The second floor is where the emperor works," Ji Dongwoo explains to Jeongguk even though the latter hadn't asked. "This floor is for official work purposes only. Your Highness will also get an office here."

Unable to not ask, "why would I need an office?" Jeongguk raises an eyebrow in question. He is neither curious nor interested in the matter, yet finds that being in the know would still be more preferable than not knowing a thing. "I wasn't properly educated. What kind of official matters could I possibly work on?"

Ji Dongwoo answers shortly and coolly: "Palace matters."

Jeongguk: "..."

Is an empress not supposed to be a female? What the actual fuck is that weirdo emperor thinking!?

Truly, Jeongguk is speechless so dumbfounded he is.

But he says nothing more about it. And also Ji Dongwoo decides there is nothing more to speak up about. The servant knocks on the door of the study and after a short moment of a few seconds the door is opened by an elderly man. The man bows to Ji Dongwoo and Jeongguk himself and then goes out of the way, allowing them entrance.

Ji Dongwoo mutters not a single word of thanks as he enters the study. And as he doesn't, Jeongguk can only follow his lead and say nothing. He walks in further keeping his head down.

"Your Majesty, I, Ji Dongwoo, have returned with his highness." The servant greets the emperor seated behind the bureau with a respectful bow.

"Hm, I see." The emperor replies. Although he keeps his eyes on the stack of papers before his person, a pen in hand as he carefully checks its contents. From time to time the sound of his pen crossing out words fills the study. But nothing else is said nor heard beside that.

Jeongguk dislikes the silence. He hates to just stand there. And he isn't alone, as also the little puppy in his arms becomes rather restless. Fearing the puppy's life will be lost if it angers the cold-hearted monster behind the bureau, Jeongguk can only try and calm it down.

Said cold-hearted monster hadn't looked up from his work once ever since Jeongguk and Ji Dongwoo entered his study. He had told the former to give him another hour, but that one hour was proven too little, and thus he is still very busy although his future empress is standing before him. But as he hears the whining of a dog, he can't help saying something about it.

"What's with the whining? Don't know how to properly teach your pet?"

Jeongguk's mind is preoccupied with calming the puppy, so at first he fails to notice the voice talking to him sounds oddly familiar. He also cannot care less about who the voice belongs to. So he retorts rather rudely: "it's a puppy, and I only got him just now. You only have yourself to blame that he's out of patience!"

Kim Taehyung has never been talked to like that by anyone other than his father, his cousin and Min San. He is quite offended.