Chapter 24: Curious About the Past

Jeongguk lied.

He already knew about his dad being disowned for being gay. And Jeongguk knows even more than just that. The reason he lied to his friends is because he found that one piece of information somewhere unexpected. Jeongguk just isn't sure if anybody else found it, too. Which resulted in him having to lie in order to find out.

Opening the file he took from the forbidden library, Jeongguk was going to try and find more on the matter of the child that disappeared.

On Kim Namjoon's biological son.

Three knocks on the door render him unable to do that right now and thus Jeongguk quickly hides the file under the pillows before standing up from his seat to walk over to the door. "I'm coming," he calls out, opening the door himself when he has finally crossed the distance.

Kim Yeona greets him with a warm smile and genuine enthusiasm when she sees him, "hi Jeonggukkie!"

Jeongguk smiles back, happy to see her again. "I heard you went out a few days ago," Jeongguk says as he gestures for her to come in. "Did something happen?"

Yeona scoffs and throws herself on the big, soft bed totally uncaring of her royal image. "Not really. Or, I guess something did happen, but it isn't anything too bad." The princess looks up to meet eyes with Jeongguk and her smile turns half mischievous half satisfied. "His Majesty handed me full responsibility of you. He will have to live to regret that decision I'm afraid."

Jeongguk raises an eyebrow in question. "How did that happen?"

If there is something Jeongguk knows about emperor Kim Taehyung, then that would be he is rather impulsive. However, he is also incredibly scheming. Handing such affairs to his cousin seems to be the last thing Taehyung would do.

"You didn't drug him, did you?"

Yeona laughs hearing the younger ask so. "Now why would I do that?" She sits up straight and pats the space next to her, "come sit down, there's a lot to talk about." Her voice has lowered a few octaves and even her expression turns more serious.

No lie, Jeongguk feels a bit threatened by the princess right now. The only reason he dares come closer and sit down being that he trusts her. "I'm here, start talking!"

"Impatient, aren't you?" Yeona can't help teasing Jeongguk a little and squeezes his cheek dotingly. That receives her a look meaning "what the fuck". Now of course, Yeona ignores it. But she does stop to focus on the matter at hand. "Alright, serious business now.

"I found you a subordinate," Yeona starts off with. She notices the younger's dissatisfaction and confusion and gestures him to just listen first. "It's a requirement. Don't forget, Ggukkie; you're the future empress now. But don't you worry about it at all. It's someone who isn't from here."

"Not from here? They're not from the palace?" Jeongguk is very surprised hearing this. "Where are they from?"

Smiling, "from somewhere alright. You really don't need to worry about it." Yeona assures him.

Jeongguk nods slowly. He is not too sure what to think of it or how to feel about it. Had he expected it? Partly, he did. Still, that makes the reality of it happening no better.