Prologue

It is winter in South Korea. Layers and layers of thick, white snow covering the world in a blanket of coldness. But although it is cold, is it also really quite beautiful. And since there exists something like warm coats, scarfs, gloves and snow boots, kids find enjoyment in the cold weather outside as they play in the snowy world.

Most households stay at home if the possibility exists. Keeping the heaters on or sitting beside the warm fireplace. Curtains drawn closed and mugs of hot chocolate on the side.

Kim Jeongguk wants that too. He would love to go back home early and be scooped up on the worn couch together with his parents and elder brother. By the time he walks inside kicking off his old shoes, his appa would already have prepared his warm chocolate and greet him with a warm and lovely hug. But that is hours away, still. Right now Jeongguk is still at work with no luck of leaving even one minute early.

But he is on his break now. That at least allows him the possibility to walk outside this stuffy, heavy room to get some fresh air before getting back on it.

The hallways are no lighter than the rooms, the lights are not brighter than a candle. But everyone here will have to make do. It is not as if the employees are forced to work in this environment. For every single one of them was it a willing decision that they made. Maybe most of them saw not another choice. No, not 'maybe'. Definitely most of the employees had no other choice than to seek work here. And Jeongguk himself is one of them.

During working hours, employees are forbidden to go downstairs. They are not to leave the floor they work on. Luckily, every floor has a balcony. So Jeongguk heads there with no falter in his step. Opening the door to the coldness of outside. It brings goosebumps to his pale skin.

Kim Jeongguk is a young man at the age of twenty-three. A young man rather slim and frail for a normal person his age. His posture straight and his appearance graceful yet delicate, he has a sweet, pretty face that lingers between handsome and beautiful. One would expect this person to be from a family of wealth. But they couldn't be any more mistaken; Jeongguk is the youngest son of a poor family.

In a world where the rich rule and the poor whither, Jeongguk can only watch from the sidelines how well-off kids his age study and begin a career. Live their lifes in wealth and know nothing about the struggle of having no food on the table. Have no clue there are people who can only take on jobs that rob them from their dignity, whilst the rich themselves make use of exactly that.

And thus with time, people have began talking about this world overtaken by the prideful; people who can afford anything that robs others of their own.

Jeongguk's parents have never minded to worry about it. They take on jobs that they are comfortable with, teaching their two sons to never stray from the right path.

"We'll be all right someday in the future, Jeonggukkie. Don't worry about anything, yes?"

As the youngest, Jeongguk has always been doted on by his parents and elder brother. While they worked and suffered and did everything possible to get money, they never intended to share that burden with their youngest. Jeongguk is unsure why they refuse to trouble him with their pain even to this day. It could have something to do with the illness he had when he was still very young, but Jeongguk can't be too sure. He cannot ask them either. As if they would tell him! No. Sometimes there are things parents are unwilling to let their baby know. And since it is like that, Jeongguk found himself forced to take on a job in secret so he can safe money for future purposes.