034. foxholes

Sam is sitting on the car and the twins are sitting next to him while Natalie stands by.

"All right, here we go." Dean says, walking over with the takeout. He sits down next to Sam. He puts the tray of take out food and drinks down between them. Sam helps Natalie get the twins' food and drinks dealt with before they each get their own meals.

"You know... even though the world is going to crap, there's one thing that I can always count on. These things tasting the same in every drive through in every state in our great nation." Dean says, taking a bite of his taco and humming in delight.

Dean's phone rings and he answers it.

"Annie." He says. "A nice surprise. How you been?" He asks.

"Mama." Briar holds out a couple of tomato pieces in disgust.

"Put 'em on the napkin, babe." Natalie says, putting a napkin on the hood of the car. Briar puts them on the napkin, sticking her tongue out at them.

Justin grabs one of the pieces and puts it in his mouth.

"Ugh!" Briar grimaces at her brother's actions.

+++

They're sitting at a restaurant and waiting for Annie. Sam and Natalie are looking over the menus while Dean is reading a newspaper and the twins are in high chairs and occupying themselves with scribbling in notebooks Natalie gave them.

"Hey, get this. Dick Roman is funding another archaeological dig. Guy moves more dirt than "The Drudge Report."" Dean says.

"Well, any anything on what he's digging for?" Sam asks.

"Don't you think I would have led with that?" Dean asks.

"Don't have a cow, Deanie." Natalie comments making him roll his eyes.

"Annie's not usually this late, is she?" Sam asks, looking at his watch.

"No, never. She's totally compulsive. I'll try her cell." Dean says.

"You know, uh, you know she and Bobby had a thing, right?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, I knew that." Dean nods. "Really?" He asks after a moment.

"Yeah. Kind of a foxhole thing -- very Hemingway." Sam says.

"Huh. She and I kind of went Hemingway this one time, too." Dean says.

"All right, well... that happens." Sam says, making a face.

"What, you too?" Dean asks.

"Ew." Natalie grimaces in disgust.

"Look, it was a while back. We ended up on the same case. She was stressed. I-I-I... I didn't... have a soul." Sam says.

"That's a lot of foxholes." Dean comments.

"Ugh, God, stop talking. Just-- just stop." Natalie grimaces. "Both for my sake and the two innocent people."

Sam and Dean stare at her.

"There are no foxholes. Both she and I are straight -- as far as I know for her, anyway." Natalie says. "Also I've been in three different very committed relationships since I was, like, 20. Aside from right now... because they've all been murdered. All by something that lives in Hell, actually. Huh."

Sam gently pats his sister on the head.

"She's not answering. Well, here's to ghosts that aren't there." Dean says, pouring some whiskey from his flask into his coffee mug.

"You sound kind of disappointed." Sam says.

"Ah, it's better this way. I mean, even though I wish we could see him again doesn't mean that we should." The siblings clink their mugs together and drink. "Are we being stood up?"