Chapter 20: Secret Girlfriend

Accident?

What?

My head spins and I almost fall but Jessica is quick to hold me steady.

My name is said a few times but sounds distant, it's only when she turns my face to look at hers that I'm drawn out of the trance.

"Skyler, are you alright?" She helps me to the couch, "what happened?"

It takes a few seconds to deduce what she's asking.

"My Dad, he....he--"

"Sweetie relax," she coos, "let me get you some water, okay?"

Nodding, I trying catching my breath as Jessica rushes to grab a glass of water. It probably just takes her seconds to return but it feels like minutes with the thoughts that have run in my mind.

My Dad is all I have, the thought of losing him...? I just can't.

"What happened with your father?" Jessica asks after I take a sip of water, concern taking over her features.

"He-- he's--" I breathe, "the man on the phone said he's been in an accident."

"Oh dear," she gasps, "is he alright? What happened? Where is he?"

"I--I don't know," is all I manage out, her questions overwhelming me.

"Relax alright?" She covers my shaking hands with hers, "everything will be okay, we just have to keep positive."

I nod, but tears fall betraying my reasoning. I don't see her grab her phone, fancy handbag and car keys until she sits back at my side.

"We need to go, Skyler."

Nodding frantically, I stand. "Yes,"

Once outside, I rush for the red audi parked in our driveway, just assuming it's Jessica's. She unlocks the doors and I go in first. I'm already fastening my seatbelt when Jessica enters in the driver's seat and tries to start to engine but to no avail.

"What's wrong?"

"She's old."

Old?

This car looks beyond brand new.

"We don't have time for this," I'm out of the car in record time and I hear her jogging after me.

"My car can be a real pain in the behind," she sighs, "maybe we could order a cab?"

"I don't think I can wait that long."

I shake my head, pushing my hair back and tears start forming in my eyes once again. My dad needs me right now, I won't manage waiting for so long to see him. I need to know he's okay, that he'll come back home.

"Sweetie, we're both worried sick but I need you to be strong," Jessica's eyes bore in mine, "your dad needs you to be strong. Can you do that?"

I nod before more hot tears fall from my eyes. I need to be strong, for Dad, and no one else.

"Everything okay?" Noah appears out of nowhere. I quickly turn away, wiping my tears.

What does he want? I swear I'm not in the mood for his attitude.

"My car won't start," Jessica explains, "I think the engine has a problem."

I notice he doesn't pay attention to a single word she says as his eyes are fixed on me.

"Are you okay?" His tone comes out softer.

Grey irises pierce through me like I'm glass, like he can read me with absolutely to problem. So I give in, letting my emotions out, tears and all.