Chapter 23: Family Bonding?

These past few days have been torture, my brain is telling to just look away and shutdown but they’re everywhere.

Jessica literally lives here now, she comes early mornings and leaves late at night. I'm always locked up in my room and come down occasionally for some food but do my best not to run into either of them. That has gone pretty well so far and I've maintained my distance. But I've just been accepted into college and my graduation is next week Friday.

I need my Dad, to talk to, to support me, to just be my Dad.

Right now he's by the counter, watching as his new girlfriend makes him breakfast. Well, new to me atleast. He still has a cast around his arm, can pretty much do all the chores but seems to love watching Jessica do everything for him. He's looking at her with so much emotion in his eyes that it makes my heart clench.

Unfortunately, she notices me by the door and before I make a run for it, she smiles, "Hey Skyler, good morning."

"Goodmorning," I clear my throat, "can I join you guys for breakfast?"

A genuine warm smile spreads across Jessica's face. "I would really like that,"

But of course I look to Dad, who's opinion actually matters. "Of course, sweetpea."

"I'll make some more eggs," she pauses, "bacon?"

I nod as I take a sit by the counter, a few feet from Dad. Jessica serves my breakfast and it is nothing like what dad and I usually eat, which is cereal, or a sandwich when I'm in a good mood. She's made pancakes, fresh orange juice, some fried bacon , eggs, baked beans and fries.

"Wow, the last time we had such a breakfast was when--" Mom was still alive... I clear my throat, half-laugh. "I'm sorry, I...I have no idea what I was about to say."

I continue eating in the awkward silence I just created.

"It's okay, Skyler." Jessica's warm hand covers mine, "you can talk about her."

I remove my hand from hers and place it on my thigh, below the counter which makes her frown.

"I wanted to apologise for the lately,"

"You don't need to," Jessica intervenes.

"But I want to," I insist, "I do not have any right meddling in your affairs Dad, and I shouldn't have reacted the way I did so for that, I'm sorry."

Dad's eyes which I inherited bore in mine as he smiles tightly. "I appreciate that."

_____

I appreciate that?

What the fuck! Who says that after someone pours their heart out? I didn't wanna do that, I did it for the sake of it. I don't like his girlfriend and I probably never will. I know I sound like a bitch but…..

God, I hate the look he had in his eyes when he looked at me. It was so distant and void of emotion. Nothing like the way he looked at her.

Wow, look at me being jealous of my new would-be-stepmom.

Pathetic.

I get my phone and try Olly's number for the millionth time but it goes straight to voicemail.

"Olly, please call me back. I really need you." I sigh as I sit on the grass.

Jeez, I can't even talk to Lucas because apparently, he's parent's divorce is more important than anything else.

I hear Jana calling for her boys to help with the many groceries from her car but neither come out. So I decide to go over.

"Hey Jana, need some help with that?"