Finished up topic, bakery shift, math class, and heading to the cafeteria

In Ms. Mendeleiev's class, she pulled down the chart of the Immune System and explained how it goes.

 Mendeleiev's class, she pulled down the chart of the Immune System and explained how it goes

Ms. Mendeleiev: So, this is what your Immune System looks like. There are some parts of the Immune System. There's the Bone Marrow. The large and small intestines, the Spleen above the Peyer's Patches. Then there's the Spleen. And this little organ is the Appendix.

Nino: Is an Appendix a useless organ?

Ms. Mendeleiev: The appendix may be the most commonly known useless organ. Because many years ago, the appendix may have helped people digest plants that were rich in cellulose. While plant-eating vertebrates still rely on their appendix to help process plants, the organ is not part of the human digestive system.

Nino: Oh.

Ms. Mendeleiev: If you're all wondering if you can live without your appendix, the truth is... Yes. People live healthy lives without it. Once you've had your appendix taken out, you should feel a lot better. If your appendix has ruptured, it may take you longer to recover.

Alya: My uncle's appendix ruptured once, so he had to be operated on.

Marinette: Is he okay now?

Alya: Yeah, he is. Guess it was just a useless organ after all.

Ms. Mendeleiev: Now, since we have 15 minutes until the bell rings. I do have one homework assignment to give you all. *Some moaned about it. * Hey, hey stop moaning. It's really important to study how the human body works, even the systems of the body. Without the systems, we would be nothing and lifeless at this point. Now, to your homework assignment. *She grabbed an eraser erased the board and wrote down the homework assignment. * Your homework assignment is to write a one-page report on an organ in the Immune System. Here are the organs again in case you forget what organ is in the Immune System. Bone Marrow, Thymus, Lymph Nodes, Spleen, tonsils, and Mucous Membrane. *Sabrina raised her hand. * Yes, Sabrina?

Sabrina: We never talked about the Tonsils and the Mucous Membrane.

Ms. Mendeleiev: Oh, we haven't? Okay. I guess we can squeeze in a little bit of information on both things. Tonsils. *She writes down tonsils on the board. * The tonsils are either of two small of tissue in the throat, one on each side of the root of the tongue. And because they're part of the body's immune system. Because of their location at the throat and palate, they can stop germs from entering the body through the mouth or the nose. The tonsils also contain a lot of white blood cells, which are responsible for killing germs. *She writes down the function of the Tonsils. * And another thing, the tonsils also prevent foreign objects from sliding into the lungs. These also filter out bacteria and viruses. Moreover, these also produce white blood cells and antibodies. *She writes that down under tonsils. * Now you all know what the tonsils do, let's get to the Mucous Membrane. *She writes down the Mucous Membrane next to the Tonsils. *

Alya: Ugh. My hand is getting a cramp from writing. *She moves her wrist around and gets back to writing the notes. *

Ms. Mendeleiev: Now, the Mucous Membrane is an epithelial tissue that secretes mucus, and lines many body cavities and tubular organs including the gut and respiratory passages. *She writes down the definition under the Mucous Membrane. * The Mucous Membrane lubricates and protects these organs and cavities from abrasive particles and bodily fluids, as well as invasive pathogens. That's the function of the Mucous Membrane. *She writes down the function of the Mucous Membrane. * And one more thing: there is a way you can help your Mucous Membrane moisturize by drinking plenty of water. You can also use a humidifier, preferably a cool mist humidifier.