Chapter 146 - Race Centered (Jack, Davey, and Race fluff)

- Chapter 146 - "What ever will we do with you, Racetrack Higgins?" -
Warnings: mentions of bullying, blood, major injuries, broken knees, soaking, a standby just watching people get bullied, Weasel, the Delanceys
Modern AU
Third Person POV

A/N, thank you all for 70k reads!!! It honestly feels crazy that so many people have read this book, and it's crazy that I'm almost at 150 chapters lol. Any special requests for what the 150th chapter should be about?

"Race-"

"I didn't get into a fight!" Race (16) blurted out, blood dripping down his nose.

Jack (20) and Davey (19) exchanged a look.

Jack sat Race down on the bed, while Davey went out of the room to get a first aid kit.

Race winced. "I blew my cover, didn't I?" he mumbled. He lightly touched under his nose, before looking at the blood left on his finger. He cringed.

"You blew your cover the second you came to us," Jack responded, handing Race a balled-up hand towel to hold under his nose. "Hold this. You're getting blood all over the floor."

Race rolled his eyes fondly, but complied.

Jack watched him, his arms crossed. He could feel the tension in the room. It felt suffocating. He sighed. "What happened?"

Race stayed silent.

"Racetrack."

Race cringed. He hated when Jack used his disappointed big brother voice. "You'll be mad..." he mumbled, almost feeling pathetic.

Jack sighed. "I won't be mad," he promised.

Race looked at him, then his eyes went back to staring at the floor. "I... I... the Delanceys were talking about El, and- and I- I got angry," he mumbled an explanation. "I know I should've walked away, not thrown a punch after Oscar swung... but I couldn't let them talk about El like that."

Jack frowned. "Race, you can't go around fighting people," he told him. "I get that the Delanceys-"

"No, Jack. You don't get it," Race snapped. He froze after a moment, but kept going. "You left school. You don't have to deal with them anymore, but I do. You don't know the comments they make, see what they do to- to El- to... to me..." he whispered. "After what happened with Ro, I couldn't stop."

Jack's eyebrows furrowed. "Wait, what hap-"

Davey walked back into the room, cutting Jack off. He pulled a chair over and sat in front of Race. "What hurts?" he asked.

Race cringed. "Not much, real-"

"Antonio Higgins, you do not come to my house injured and expect me not to treat those injuries." Davey shot him a very motherly look.

Race cringed again. "You're right. I shouldn't have come here." He got up. "I'll just g-"

"Antonio Higgins, sit your butt down," both boys quickly said, Davey grabbing his arm and Jack putting a hand on his shoulder.

Race flinched, but didn't fight Jack as he sat him back down. He stared at the floor.

"Race-"

"Nothing, Davey," Race said sharply. "It's nothing. Leave it be," he almost begged him.

Davey sighed. He looked at Jack. "I'm going to give Spot a call," he decided, getting up.

Race shot up. "No!" He winced in pain as soon as the word left his mouth, feeling very dizzy all of a sudden.