3. Slytherin? Or Out?

Using the disillusionment meant charm I am able to sneak my way through the castle past curfew. Something Headmaster Black only initiated this year. Even though I'm a Prefect now, it still feels weird.

If I spy another student out I'm not going to feel great about catching them, considering I was up all hours of the night in Fifth year. Plus, if they do see me strolling about, I worry they might think I'm abusing my power. I can't lose whatever positive rapport for me they have.

The teachers might have made me Head Girl, but the students far from respect me. Only the few that I helped along fifth year seem to treat me with any kindness. The others are mostly afraid of me. Between them and those that scoff and think my stories are lies. I don't know which I hate more.

So, I'm running around the castle at night fully cloaked, passing more than a few students who should be in bed. But I don't even bother with them. All I'll have to do is make a vase rattle or portrait move and they go skittering off before they get caught. Peeves is always on the prowl for students to turn in and none of them wants to risk it.

When I finally reach the common room, I spot the golden arch of the snake door is already active, meaning a Slytherin is around here somewhere. I hear a giggle from a darkened corner and I see the Slytherin Head Boy, Damon Wilkshire, and a girl in yellow robes is standing with her back turned to me.

By her incessant giggling and pink hair I recognise her immediately as Sacharissa Tugwood, the conceded Hufflepuff who made me fight a troll and then some to get her pimple potion ingredients. She giggles again and flicks her candy colored hair over her shoulder as she moves in very close to Damon. He doesn't back up, but he doesn't touch her either.

In the time I've known him he always seemed too busy for girlfriends. Sure, he had more than plenty of ladies clamoring for the title, but Damon never really dated. Much to the mystery and chagrin of all the young ladies at Hogwarts. But it looks like this Hufflepuff girl might be the first to cross that victory line, and to my benefit because the door to the common room still has to open and I'm thankful my concealment will at least shield who has snuck past him.

I quickly make my way down the wide spiral stairs and past the large lagoon windows into the sleeping quarters. I keep my footsteps as soft as possible on the metal grates of the coiled hall. Snaking to the innermost pod where I share my room with the other "gold standard" Slytherins– as Imelda called us.

Imelda had even made us each a gold name plate for our beds when she proposed the bunking situation for the year.

Herself, of course, being the co-captain of the quidditch team and newest record holder of every broom challenge.

Nerida Roberts, a member of Crossed Wands dueling club, and also the one who was still bitter about me crushing her in the tournament Fifth year. Some of my sweets or special bars of soap were already going missing and I greatly suspected her.

Then there was Zedra Noke, twin sister of Zenobia, and "the first twin in a century" who didn't match in the same house. Zedra was the only one in our room that wasn't an upperclassman, but she rivaled even Sophronia in intellect and could easily run circles around even the brightest professors. We all enjoyed studying with her, and when I found the time to do so, my grades certainly benefited.

Once I was in my room, I turned off the enchantment but Imelda doesn't so much as flinch as she looks up from her book. She tilts her head unamused and whispers. "Do you have to keep trying to scare me?" Imelda is in bed sitting against her headboard, she tucks a marker in the page and sets it on the stand beside her.

"It's honestly amazing at this point, can you even get scared?" I whisper as I start to pull off my boots. My hand is still swollen and painful, but the burden of both have already subsided quite remarkably.