26. Time for Tea

"You know, people are usually on their best behavior at parties." I say from behind the dressing screen. 

Wearing my hideous dress for the tea party, and despite makeup from Sacharissa, I look like I was thrown from another belfry. The gash over my nose is still healing, both my eyes are deep purple, and the only positive of such a high neckline and long sleeves is that it covers the bruises on my body.

My breakfast this morning consisted of wiggenweld potion, my contraceptive tea, and we slept in so we missed food in the Great Hall. I'm planning to decimate an entire tiered stand at afternoon tea, and between Sebastian and I, the table will get lucky if we don't eat it too.

I'm already sweating, from nerves and the heavy dress, and peek over the divider.

Sebastian meets my gaze. "Where's the fun in that?" He winks.

He's still bruised and scraped from the fight. But I forced him to drink so much healing potion that he is admittedly better off.

He's wearing the plaid green uniform jacket and matching trousers. He doesn't appear like he's going to change, lazing comfortably in a chaise.

I furrow my brow when I see them. "Those are the robes you wear everyday..."

"Yeah, and today they're clean." He said proudly, crossing his ankles.

I don't have time to worry about his clothing, as I'm scowling at my own in the mirror. It somehow feels worse than it did in the store. The stiff sleeves balloon so much that I can't hold my arms to the sides. Standing rigid and awkward like a soaked cat. And the starched white lace trim sticks up off the seams like spines. It's so heavy that I'm immediately sweating, which means the dress will only get heavier.

Shoving the hat on my head, hastily pinning it, I don't care how it looks. A tilt of the hat one way or another will do nothing to save this outfit. Flattening out the dreadful dress in the places I can reach, I take one last deep breath of courage before stepping out.

Laughter. Not a single word. Laughter is all Sebastian gives me.

All the way out of the room. All the way down the stairs, and all the way to the Enchanting the Home Classroom. He wipes a tear from his eye, massaging his aching cheeks once he finally settles himself. Then something new about the hideous gown catches his eye and he starts laughing all over again.

"Are you quite finished?" Fists clenched at my sides. I don't want to walk through the door to class with him still laughing at me.

Sebastian needs a moment to catch his breath. "Yeah, sorry. It's just... can you please wear this to the Yule Ball too? It would be really funny."

"Who says I even want to go with you anymore?" I snarl, trying to cross my arms to emphasize my point, but with the dress, I'm unable.

Amit walks by, a snicker escaping him as he catches sight of my dress.

My face flushes, I know it's hideous. Do I really need the whole school to tell me?

Sebastian bristles, wheeling around, his face darkening with rage. "You can fuck right off, Thakkar!"

Seeing Sebastian's overreaction, Amit takes two steps back. Wide eyed he holds out his hands defensively. "Sorry." He said meekly before turning on his heel and beelining it out of the courtyard.

Giving Sebastian a flat look, my eyebrow lifts. "So only you can make fun of me?"

"That's exactly right. The privilege belongs to me alone." He smirks and holds out his arm for me to take. "It's just a silly dress. You'd look much better with it on the floor."