36. Noctua's Funeral

I'm straightening Sebastian's tie, but he's the one who's nervous. Neither of us ate dinner, and even the idea of eating something makes my stomach knot.

It isn't obvious in his stoic face, but in the way he's palming his father's pocket watch, clicking the lid open and closed. "Are you sure you need to go?" He asks, his tone low.

I take a step back, smoothing his lapels with my palms. "You got me into this damn mess. You aren't allowed to cower out now."

Damon rounds the corner, slipping a small roll of parchment into a pocket inside his jacket. He looks utterly regal with his funeral attire as he eyes us over with scrutiny. "I suppose there's no time to change now."

Gaping at him, but quickly snap my mouth shut. I run my hands over my velvet vest as I straighten my posture. "These robes are more than adequate."

"Ominis is blind and he'll be better dressed than Farm-boy." Damon chides, gesturing loosely to Sebastian.

I curl my fist at my side. If Sebastian wasn't so desperate to use Damon's house elf to find Anne, I'd punch him right in the throat.

Sebastian takes the comment in stride, lifting his chin as he smiles.

Damon is just as anxious as us, he's just taking it out on the lowest hanging fruit. Knowing full well I purchased our new robes for the both of us, just for this occasion. Incredibly expensive, and I'd wager that the only thing about us that won't fit into this Gaunt family affair is Sebastian's brown hair. And maybe his filthy fingernails.

"You have to wear trousers?" Damon lifts a brow and looks me up and down. Something about his gaze has the heated anger in my chest rising. "I mean, I'm not complaining. But you know my family is traditional."

"Is that the way you want to go, Mate?" Sebastian is still wearing his charming smile, but he does take a step towards Damon.

A few of the students in the common room start to look up, conversations halting in their tracks.

"Go scrub your hands." I whisper to him and kiss him on the cheek. "We won't leave without you."

Sebastian audibly grumbles his disdain as he walks up the common room towards the lavatories.

The onlookers slowly go back to their busy work. Ominis cuts through the seating area and comes to a stop by Damon and I. He's wearing absolutely austere dress robes, and I hate to admit but he and Damon look like heirs of Slytherin indeed. Young princes in their own right. Grinding my teeth, they do look much better dressed than Sebastian and I.

Ominis takes a deep breath through his nose, rolling his shoulders back. "Even though I don't want to go, we shouldn't be late. Where's Sebastian?"

"He'll be along." Damon tugs lightly on his cuffs, and fiddles with his silver cufflinks. "You aren't bringing your little French friend?"

Ominis chuffs. "I don't want to bring anyone. You of all people should understand."

Damon narrows his eyes briefly, then shifts his weight to one side, the mask of cool aloofness sliding into place. "Didn't think so. I figured the wall in my home being destroyed was Sebastian's fault. Perhaps I thought too soon."

"Come now, you two. We need to play nice if we're all going to get what we want." I say, but I'm leveling a glare at Damon.

Ominis purses his lips, but doesn't say anything.

Damon raises his eyebrows looking innocently at me. "I'm always nice."

"Are you sure you need us to go?" I look at Damon, my face hard. "Or are you just being lazy."