9. Food Fight!

A loud crash like a pair of giant cymbals sounds as the three of us walk into the Great Hall.

It looks as though there is a food battle warring between Gryffindor and Slytherin tables. The Ravenclaws seem divided on whoever they should join or leave, but the Hufflepuffs have already chosen theirs and joined the ranks.

For the most part students are laughing and having a joyous ruckus tossing food back and forth but at the far end of the table things seem a little more dialed up.

"Nope." Ominis turns on his heel and leaves. "I'm not joining in such foolishness." He turns to Sebastian, "If you don't wish to get in trouble, you should head with me to the common room now."

"I'll bring you back a bowl." Sebastian calls over his shoulder as he dashes into the fray.

I look to the front of the room, the teachers desks are empty and the only adult present is Mr. Gladwin Moon who is taking long swigs from his flask and having a riotous laugh at the pandemonium.

It's the third of the month. The night where teachers have their meeting and dinner off the campus grounds. The perfect night for some student to get a little too rowdy and start something.

I see some students pelting the gossiping group from all directions, faster than they can block. They are already covered head to toe in a kaleidoscope of food, but with the petty revenge being taken out now. It's likely they'll keep being served some revenge.

Lucan Brattleby is levitating a flock of roast fowl. He's making them fly over the students dropping their stuffing over them like a goopy rain. Intermittently making a squawking sound before he makes one dive down and bomb another student. Whooping a boisterous laugh as he does it, and his thick curly hair is utterly caked in yellow custard.

Zedra Noke is back to back with her sister, Zenobia, and has created a tentacle monster of stroganoff noodles. She's using the flailing saucy arms as a shield to catch any food being flung at them. She looks as determined to slap away food as she does to actually slap other students with the noodles as they get too close to her twin.

I duck as a sword from a suit of armor rushes past my face, it's made a shishkabob through several pastries and fruits, and seems set off to find an accompanying item to skewer.

"Hey! Watch it!" I shout, not knowing to whom in particular and pull my wand out, a protection bubble around me as I push my way up the hall where Sebastian set off.

A pie hits my shield and slides down. Making a goopy splat on the floor.

"That's cheating!" A Hufflepuff calls gleefully from behind a plate charger they're using as a shield.

Rolling my eyes I hustle down the hall and come upon Imelda. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I just heard shouting and all of a sudden it was bedlam." Imelda's not looking at me as she talks, instead she blasts out a large punch bowl, soaking a nearby Ravenclaw in pink juice. She then cast glacius , encapsulating them in a cocoon of ice.

Imelda then turns to me with a wind swept smile. She's thoroughly coated in powdered sugar, it's caked in her dark hair and dusted across her eyelashes. She looks as though she's been caught in a fresh snowfall and looks as lovely as she does lethal. "Don't just stand there. Defend our house!"

I look past her and Sebastian has gained a substantial amount of ground towards the head of the Great Hall. I can almost hear Ominis scolding me for not keeping a better eye on him. "I'll do my best." I say casually enough as I skirt past her.

Imelda rolls her eyes and takes a wide step up to the top of the long table beside our other roommate Nerrida Roberts.

Nerrida is one of the few people who isn't completely covered in food. No doubt demonstrating wand work that will make her a dangerous opponent in the dueling tournament. It's like she'd been practicing day and night since school let out last year and she's utterly terrifying.