39. Anti-venom

The heels of my shoes clip as I hustle through the stone terrace, under the covered walkway of the gothic arches, and past the transfiguration courtyard. A soft whimpering sound travels from a short distance away, I pivot my steps heading towards it, and as I do the low rumbling of a car purring mixes with the sound. Coming around the corner I almost step on the feet of a girl, petting a cat curled up in her lap. She lifts her head with a jolt at my sudden presence.

Valeria is sitting slumped on a little stone bench, but when she sees me she stiffens, wiping the end of her sleeve across her face quickly. She looks disheveled, like she hasn't slept or showered, and I see her clothes look strange. Like she put them on in a hurry but never bothered to correct the mismatched buttons or tuck in the collar to her sweater on both sides.

"Are you alright?" I ask, coming to a stop before her, but take a step backwards to remain at a respectable distance.

She sniffs sharply, her red eyes narrow on me. "I hate this stupid place." She spits on the ground between us. "I hate these stupid people. Leave me alone." She stands in a huff, the cat jumping from her lap with a grumpy yowl, and walks briskly away. I sense she doesn't know where she's going as she picks a direction that's ultimately a dead end. But it's away from me and alone, so she still gets what she wants.

Wow, how the mighty have fallen. I hope she's alright, but ultimately I'm not too upset at seeing her misery in person.

Checking the clock I see my meeting with Professor Weasley didn't take too much time, but it's possible Sebastian and Ominis are already back in the common room.

I don't need to break my stride as the snake for the Slytherin Common Room lifts revealing the door, and it swings open for me. Down the spiral stairs and despite it being underground and surrounded by the lake on one side, the common room is warm and cozy. I head down the next set of stairs quickly, hoping the guys haven't left for dinner without me. I'd like to change out of these funeral clothes before I go, but no sooner do I come upon the main fireplace that something feels off. A third year sees me and darts into the dormitories, her footsteps clanging as she runs down the hallway.

My instincts put me on edge when I see a large group of students circled in the leather couches, talking in hushed voices. Butterflies flutter in my stomach when a girl sees me and looks guilty as sin. Quickly slapping the girl next to her repeatedly on the arm.

"Why is she our Prefect, she's never even here–." One says but their words are cut off as they take notice of me. Many of the others begin shushing each other as each of their attention turns my way. Then the silence hits and my stomach sinks like a stone.

"Evening." I say cheerily as I pass. Not one of them responds so I don't bother breaking my stride as I continue to the rest of the common room. As much as I hate that, I can't deny it. If I'm not in the Undercroft, or the Room of Requirement, or the beach cottage, I'm running all over the valley. I stopped coming into the common room unless I absolutely needed to. Which unfortunately means I've practically abandoned my own house.

After a quick glance around, I see Sebastian and Ominis aren't there, so I head to my room to change out of these funeral clothes.

As soon as the door creaks open I see shuffling and whispers. "Hurry, hurry. She's almost back." And giggles and garments rustling and shuffling feet fill my dormitory space. Nerrida is at the center, clearly the ring leader. To my horror she's holding my mauve corset, and I've caught her in the middle of cramming it back into my trunk.

My jaw drops, anger moves like needles under my skin. "What the hell are you doing with my underwear?"

She titters. "Why would it matter if I've seen it, I hear half the school has anyway."