20. Shop Till You Drop

In Hogsmead, lights twinkle along the shop awnings and there is a string of lanterns that sweep around the main courtyard plaza. There is a line of students out the door at Honeydukes, and the traveling minstrel has started incorporating some of them into his ad libbed song.

The ladies of 'Enchanting The Home' were encouraged to shop together so no one would wear the same dress to formal afternoon tea, the first test of the year.

Madame Peregrine was very thorough in our preparation. A parchment twenty inches long of all the rules for this one test. We're expected to be sporting finery, and bring a 'suitable gentleman' to accompany us. Our grade partially weighs on how "selective" we are in our date, our formal tea attire, as well as obeying all the societal rules. Her rules for the dress code were very specific. "Every Victorian lady knows a tea gown is a hybrid of a wrapper and a ball gown. Since it's just us you don't need one with a train. But if you are invited to tea with your future in-laws, you'll be sure to have it."

It has been drilled into our heads that no detail should be overlooked, shoes, hair, clean fingernails, including structured undergarments. "A proper silhouette means a proper lady," whatever that means.

As I walk into the first boutique where the girls are already waiting, it seems like they're having a difficult time understanding the Madame's instructions as well.

"This one is on sale. It shouldn't be too hot yet?" Cressida holds up a thick woolen brown dress that is plain and uninteresting. "Although, would she take off for it being out of season?"

The group voices their dislike, Valeria lets out a loud raspberry but doesn't add anything helpful as she swipes through the racks, aggressively disinterested in every garment.

Adalaide comes over and gently pulls the garment from Cressida's hand. "You would look better in spring colors anyway. There are better options."

They begin sifting through another section, remarking about which colors would help compliment their pink undertoned skin.

Imelda and Nerrida are sifting through dresses, holding them up against themselves, the styles seem either too grandmotherly, or like little girl dresses.

Samantha has already found a lovely dress in brilliant Ravenclaw blue, and she emerges from the dressing room proudly. "Can we stop at the Hat in Hand next? I want gloves to match."

"Can we go somewhere else already?" Valeria grumbles under her breath.

Some of the girls look dejected, it's obvious not everyone has sifted through the store to their liking. But Valeria is clearly trying to run the show.

Trying to keep my voice casual as I shoot it down. "You're welcome to go shopping on your own. By all means, don't let us hold you up."

Valeria clicked her tongue and made her way over to Sacharissa, the two of them now just making fun of all the dresses together in quiet sniggering.

"I think that's a great idea Samantha. I'm sure Peregrine will give extra points if you do." I look at her with a smile.

She inflates with relief, and the ladies all converge on her, complimenting the dress and how lucky she was to find one so flattering, so quickly.

Adelaide isn't looking at dresses, she has wandered over to the house robes section.

Now that I'm paying attention, I see her school robes are a little worn, beyond just a proper mending.

"A new robe could be fun." I chime in from behind her with a smile. "The yellow always looks so good with your blonde hair."

"Thanks." She sighs and leaves the robe behind after running her hand down the sleeve. "But I can't right now." She said simply.