29. Untimely Enemies

Sebastian and I sit on a stone bench on the path between Hogsmead and the castle. The smell of wet leaves cuts through the crisp cold air. Vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows colored the trees and tie dyed the cobblestone footpath. A full breath of cold autumn air had settled over Hogwarts Valley.

Today is another day where we've spent our study hall outside. As soon as the trees began to yellow we decided to spend the hour outside in any way we could. Today it was his idea to come further out, and lounge outside the castle walls on a bench beneath a canopy of yellowing trees.

He is notating in the margins of his book, flipping back and forth from a previous page, the center of his brow slightly pinched as he critiques something in his mind.

I'm still at the same page from where I opened my book. It feels almost impossible to read. This morning Lucan sent out emergency flyers that the second bracket of the Crossed Wands Tournament had been moved to tonight. Since I was out of the singles bracket, I hadn't really been looking forward to it. Selfish I know, but it set my teeth on edge to think Nerrida could be walking away with my trophy.

Sebastian was so confident we'd win, we didn't bother to talk strategy. Which only made me more nervous. He insisted we come out here instead.

Sitting out here, letting the only sounds be the soft rustling of leaves, the soft babble of the creek down the hill. It helped. I almost scoff now that I think about it. Sebastian pulled us out here for a peaceful afternoon on purpose. Beautiful, clever, bastard.

And now I don't want to leave.

Sebastian checks his pocket watch and tells me it's time we head back for potions class.

I stand and sweep my hand behind me, brushing the dust off my skirt from the mossy stone bench, and sandwich a feather in the pages of my book as a placeholder.

Sebastian tucks my book under one arm and takes my hand, giving it a squeeze. "Good?"

"Good." I affirm with a smile.

We walk close, pressing my arm against his as we walk, trying to absorb as much physical contact of him as I can.

Keeping in stride he leans down, placing a tender kiss to the top of my head.

The crisp breeze rustles the trees and the dying grasses in rolling waves. Sebastian adjusts his grip on my hand, lacing his fingers into mine and squeezing tight. As if to block out the cold with his warm hand. It's truly my favorite time of year and I'm taking the opportunity to savor it.

As we walk towards the castle, across the bridge with the states of flying boar, we run into Poppy and Lucan.

I hadn't talked to Poppy since our run in with the wagon, and from the look on her face as we closed the distance, it was still too soon.

"Excited about tonight?" Lucan asks, eagerly shifting his gaze between the two of us. "I think we're in for a great crowd. Granted it doesn't rain."

"Yeah, I'm surprised we're moving forward with the tournament. I'm sure Damon won't be happy that he forfeited." Sebastian smirked, casually putting his hand in his pocket.

Lucan furrowed his brow. "I'm surprised you hadn't heard. Damon came back last night. Hence the rush order on the festivities tonight. It was either now, or wait till after the Holiday break."

"What?" I gawk at him. Damon wasn't supposed to be back until Christmas. However he managed to end his self appointed study abroad, or why he would. Was puzzling.

Lucan looked at us with a tilt of his head. "I'm surprised you didn't see him in your common room."

I swallow hard. Sebastian and I hardly spent any time in the common room anymore. Between the Room of Requirement and the Beach Cottage, there didn't seem much of a point to sleeping four girls to a room. Or the endless complaining and ridiculing and speculating of Ominis and Valeria. It was exhausting, and honestly, Sebastian was better company in more ways than one.