Taniatsu fluff

Atsushi was not familiar with what a crush was. He knew what one was, of course, but he didn’t know how it felt.

In all the books he’d read in the orphanage, they’d say that a crush felt soft and light, and made you feel like you could do the impossible. He hadn’t felt that at all when he was living at the orphanage, but when he joined the Armed Detective Agency, he felt that way about everyone; there was no way he had a crush on everybody.

So for a while he thought he was incapable of having crushes, which he was fine with. But then he started feeling.. different.. around someone.

The first time, it hit him like a bus. He had been busy running around the city, delivering letters that Kunikida did not trust the mail carriers to do efficiently. Atsushi, having an incredible pace in weretiger form, was chosen for the job— which he didn’t mind, he liked helping out.

It was sunset, a delightful zephyr passing through the air. Atsushi’s hair slightly billowed in the breeze, he had just delivered the last letter, and was excited to get back to the agency and eat dinner— he’d skipped lunch.

As he walked back- (he had changed back into his fully human form) he saw a mop of familiar well-groomed orange hair, strolling down the sidewalk. Atsushi decided to approach him, because what’s the harm?

“Tanizaki-san?” Atsushi cleared his throat, approaching him.

Junichirou slowed to a halt, turning his head to face him. “Oh, hey Nakajima-kun!” He gave the other boy a serene smile.

“Why are you out here so late? Sorry, It’s just you’re usually in bed now, right?” Atsushi knew when the rest of the agency went to bed, because he always wanted to be prepared for an emergency. If an attack was ever launched at night, he would know who to check on, and wake up.

“Ah, yeah. I pointed out that it looked pretty outside, and Kunikida-san decided I should take a walk, because,” Junichiro tilted his head, “I don’t get out much?” He laughed, his voice breathy. A smile played onto Atsushi’s face.

“I think you get out! Well, sometimes Tanizaki-chan has to drag you, but you still go places.” Atsushi scratched the nape of his neck, feeling a bundle of nerves inside of him.

Atsushi always felt nervous, a product of his childhood and undiagnosed anxiety. But he had always been able to talk to Junichiro without effort; so why did he feel all queasy now?

“Exactly! Everyone has it out for me or something..” He joked, the sun’s rays shining on him, and it was then Atsushi realized he was really pretty.

“I’ll protect you! I can fight off everyone with my smarts.”

“Oh.. then I guess I’m better off as dead..” Junichiro said, dejected.

“Tanizaki-san, come on.” Atsushi whined, getting another laugh from the other.

“I was kidding! I swear.” He nudged the weretiger, making him feel all weird again.

Soon, they approached the detective agency. As they walked in, Junichiro grabbed Atsushi’s arm before he could run off.

“Hey! It was nice talking to you. We really should hang out more.” He exclaimed, messing with his pale yellow sleeves.

“Sure. That sounds like it’d be nice! Whenever we both have a free schedule.” Atsushi’s insides turned to mush. What was going on? Whatever he was feeling was so foreign to him. Junichiro gave him a nod, walking off. That left the boy to dwell on the past few minutes.

From then on, the situation just seemed to escalate. Whenever Atsushi was near Junichiro, his heart seemed to beat at an irregular pattern. To him, Junichiro was like a flower. He was amazing to look at, and he couldn’t help but feel drawn to him, similar to a bee. He wanted to spend time with him, and get to know him more. But he placed it as simple platonic infatuation.