Chapter Five

“What do you mean you think she knows?” Zach asked. She couldn’t know. The whole point of lying was so that she wouldn’t find out!

                “Look,” Nathan began, “Abby isn’t stupid -” Cameron snorted “- She told me something was off. She mentioned ‘what happened yesterday in the garage’ specifically. She thinks she did something to piss ‘Zach’ off and that ‘Cameron’ is just a big creep!”

                “She said I was a creep?” Zach asked, hurt.

                “Well no, but you didn’t see the look on her face. I mean did you really have to rub her arms like that?”

                Michael snickered. “Damn Zach, if you wanted to lose Cam’s virginity for him you could’ve just told her the truth.”

                Cameron’s face paled and he instantly started panicking. “No one is losing anything for me, especially not that!” He looked up at Zach, who raised his hands in a peace-making gesture.

                “No worries, I’m not thrilled by that idea at all,” he said, frowning at the thought of Cameron’s genitals anywhere near his girlfriend.

                “Dammit Zach, this can’t last forever! Can it?” Cameron added hesitantly.

                Zach sighed, rubbing his hands over his face tiredly. He hated the entire situation as much as Cameron did, but he wasn’t going to let his emotions take over. “I don’t know. I certainly hope not.”

                “Me too,” Cameron agreed. “I can’t do this! I’m not you, and Abby is noticing. We have to tell her.”

                “No, we’re not doing that. We already agreed, and that’s not changing now.” Zach sighed, taking a deep breath. “At least she doesn’t think you’re a creep; or at least the real you. God, what am I supposed to do if you were right? What if she really is only with me because of Allstar Weekend?” Zach went and sat down beside Cameron on the bed and both buried their heads in their hands.

                Nathan went over and patted him on the shoulder. “Like I said, when she told me how Cameron was acting, she was just worried. It’s obvious that she really does have feelings for you man.”

                Zach just sat in silence, thinking about everything that would change in his life if Abby turned out to be unfaithful. He was too scared to think about a life without her, so he decided to see her out until the very end. If she wasn’t what she seemed, he figured he would at least wait to hear the truth from her. “Then I guess Cameron will just have to make more of an effort.”

                Cameron looked at him in shock. “No! I’m doing my best and she already knows something is wrong! We need to tell her the truth. I’m sure she’d much rather have it now than later on when I make a mistake big enough that we can’t just blow it off.”

                “We need, or you need to tell her the truth?” Zach countered. “Don’t pretend that you’re arguing against me for her sake, Cameron.”

                Cameron clenched his jaw, but didn’t say anything. Zach was dead on. Nathan broke up the fight before it could really get started.

                “Come on Cameron, she really is pretty great. Remember when she invited us all to her little brothers tenth birthday? I know you didn’t want to go, but the two of us went up to the roof and just yelled things because she wanted to have fun scaring people on the sidewalk. That’s exactly the kind of thing you would do,” Nathan added, wanting Cameron to do as Zach asked so that Abby could avoid getting hurt, if at all possible.