Chapter 6 | Dairy Queen

I followed Charlie out of the house towards his car with Henry behind us.

"Where you goin'?" Henry asked.

"To sign up for football-" Charlie turned around to stop him.

"-And, no, you can't come." I quickly said.

We kept walking towards the car.

"Can I drive?" I asked.

Charlie thought for a second.

"Sure."

He tossed me the keys. I got into the driver's seat and buckled up.

"Just please don't crash."

"I can't make any promises."

School

I followed Charlie to the football table before heading to my table.

"Hi. I'm Charlie Baker."

The coaches sat up.

"Oh, yeah, Tom Baker's boy."

"Read where his old buddy, Shake, threw him a bone."

Me and Charlie stood there awkwardly.

"Offense or defense?" One of them asked.

"I'm a quarterback," Charlie said.

"Yeah, well, maybe in Cowpie, Illinois. This is -A, Skippy."

"The bigs," Skippy said.

"Put him on defense. Cornerback."

Charlie started to walk away defeated.

"By the way, when you show up for practice, don't be wearing that hat."

Charlie pulled off his Midland hat knowing that he was no longer a Midland kid. We walked towards the hockey table while Charlie messed with his hat.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" The guy asked.

"Hi, um I'm here to sign up," I said and smiled.

"Well sorry little lady but only boys play hockey, there's cheer for girls."

"Sir, I don't think you understand. I've played hockey my whole life and doubt that you would like it if I told my Dad that you are sexist. So just let me sign up."

The guy looked at me in shock. He handed me the clipboard. I wrote my name, jersey number, and position down before handing him the clipboard back.

"Your Tom Baker's girl?"

"I am."

"Welcome to the team."

Few Nights Later

I laid on my bed drawing. It was getting late but I didn't care. Something was on my mind. Someone knocked on my bedroom door, snapping me out of my little daydream.

"Come in."

"Hey." It was Charlie.

"Hi."

"Kids are all in bed if you're up for a little fun."

"Ice cream?"

Charlie nodded.

"Can I drive?"

"Sure."

"Let's go."

I grabbed my hoodie and shoes, slipping both on.

"Dang, the hallway light is still on," Charlie said.

"Did you close your bedroom door and make it look like you are in there asleep?"

"Yes."

"Great." I smiled an evil smile.

I pulled some blankets and pillows out to make it look like I was in my bed. I turned off the light and opened the window. There was a tree right outside my window that we could easily climb down.

"Dang, you got a good room."

We both climbed down the tree and headed towards the car. I climbed in turning on the engine.

"Dairy Queen?" I asked.

Dairy Queen - 10:30 pm

We sat in the Dairy Queen parking lot eating our blizzards and just talking about our life.

"Hey Charlie,"

"Yeah?"

"If those guys are being dicks to you on the football team just remember they probably don't have any."

"Same for you, well hockey team."

He smiled before checking his watch.

"We should probably start heading back

"Ok."

We got home within 10 minutes. Charlie helped me climb back up the tree. When I reached the top I opened the window and helped Charlie through the window.

"See you in the morning," Charlie said closing the bedroom door.

"Night."