Entry #40

i stood, unmoving, for a moment before an unrestrained sob broke free, and Jimmy rushed over to wrap his arms around me. "i"m sorry," i wailed. "i didn't mean for him to tell you that-" i latched onto Jimmy like a leach as soon as we made contact. "he wasn't s-supposed to-" i fell into another fit of sobs, clinging to Jimmy like he was my lifeline.

Jimmy held on just as tightly to me, rubbing my back and whispering things like, "it's okay. everything's going to be fine."

but he was wrong.

"it's n-not fine," i said, shaking my head. "th-they're gonna send me away- i don't wanna-"

Jimmy cupped my cheeks in his hands, making me look at him. "nobody's sending you away," he said sternly. "if anyone tries to take you anywhere, call me. you can come to my house."

i shook my head again, crying even more now. "i can't-"

"why?"

"i can't-"

"and why not?" Jimmy repeated. "because zach said no? because he might hurt you if you do?" we stared at each other in silence before Jimmy sighed. "scott," he said gently, tucking a loose strand of my hair behind my ear, "nobody can hurt you if you come with me."

i hesitated, looking off to the side as i thought before finally nodding weakly. this was better than nothing. "okay," i said quietly, sniffling again.

Jimmy gave me a soft smile. "come on."

"where are we going?"

"to stop Zach."

Jimmy didn't force me to come out from behind to curtain with him - in fact, he let me stay there - as he marched out into the main theater, where zach was about to dump the contents of my bag out on mr. harding's desk.

i could heard what they were saying, but after a few minutes mr. harding came to talk to me about my living situation.

"where are you staying right now?" he asked me.

i wanted to lie, to tell him i was fine and i was living happily with my parents, but i was crying before i opened my mouth.

"oh, scott..." he hugged me as i wept. "where are you staying rght now?"

"the sch-school," i stammered.

"the school?" he repeated. "you don't live with Jimmy, then?"

are you kidding me? i thought. i could have lied and said that i lived with Jimmy?!