Chapter 5

It was mid-night. I couldn't sleep. He wasn't sleeping either.

"Byron" I swung my legs around so I was sitting on the edge of the bed. "I can't sleep"

"Neither can I" Byron answered. I got up and made my way across the room. I sat down next to him. I put my head down and turned to him.

I placed my hand on his tone stomach.

"I keep thinking about three months from now" I whispered to him. I pressed my fist firmly against his abs. "and I keep thinking about a year from now" he turned his face to look at me. I laid down on my arm and stared up at the ceiling. "I have to leave"

"I know, Iris" he muttered. "Are you having second thoughts?"

"I can't have second thoughts, Byron. You know that. I'm committed to becoming a Guardian" I tried to smile at him but instead my face felt like if it was frozen. "Whenever you and I get close and we are like this. I forget about everything- all the problems and I want to be normal" He put his arm around me. "I would like to do all the things couples do but then I realize that it will be impossible."

"It isn't impossible, Iris. It will just be difficult" he muttered against my head. "You leave in a year. I graduate in a year. I will no longer be your mentor or your Keeper."

"But, I will be in the Guard. I will be serving my future King, and you will be" my voice trailed off. "We won't be together." I met his eyes, there was a soft expression on his face. "and that is what is bothering me the most" my voice croaked. "I have to leave you in a couple of months"

he took my hand and kissed it.

"We can make it work, Iris." He mumbled against my hand. "I will try harder for you. I know I'm a jerk but I promise to always be there for you when you need me. I want our relationship to work. I have tried so hard to stay away from you and I don't' want to anymore."

I gulped. I was melting in his arms.

"I promise to try too" I leaned forward and kissed his chest. "Just don't keep pushing me away because it hurts."

"What about Henri?" he lifted his lips in dislike. "You will see him in about a month."

"Let me figure that out when it happens for now though, let me enjoy being with you." I settled down next to him. "I love you Enden."

"Me too, Burke" he leaned forward and kissed me. He positioned me under him. He gently pressed me into the bed. A moan escaped my lips.

Oh no, the though fluttered into my head. He grasped my legs and put them on either side of his hips.

He lifted his mouth from mine. I was breathing loudly and raggedly. I placed my hand on his chest. I gently added some pressure so he could pull back.

"I don't know if I can sleep with you" I whispered to him. "I am terrified of having sex. I would rather run six miles."

"Really?" he laughed. His head fell on my chest. He was laughing so hard that the bed started to shake. I scowled up at the ceiling. He composed himself and stare down at me.

"I love you" I took his face. "I am in love with you but-"

"But?" he raised his eyebrows.

"I want to know for sure" I whispered. "I want to know that you will be the one by my side, always. Then I will give you everything, Byron."

He looked really surprised to the point that he was speechless. That was new.

"I know it is silly but I idealize the idea of love, Byron. I have always thought it would be hopeless and difficult to fall in love. It has been, Byron." his gaze softened. He opened his mouth but I shook my head. "Henri wasn't what I expected to and trying to be with you has been difficult?"