Chapter 30

The door opened. Charles and Captain Langerson walked in. Behind them was Taron, and two others I didn't recognize.
"A pleasure" Charles smiled widely at me. "It has been an entire summer since I last saw you. You are looking like your parents more and more, the resemblance to your father is uncanny." There was something in his tone. It sounded like he knew something.
I didn't answer. I merely stared up at him.
"I had the pleasure of meeting your boyfriend too. I was hoping he would be easy to open up" he lifted his fingers and wiggles them at me. "But he proved himself to be very protective of you." Charles stepped towards me and I squinted at him. "He was willing to die for you instead of giving you up." Charles mouth lifted up.
"He isn't dead" I replied flatly.
"Are you sure? I worked him over really good. He has been begging for me to just kill him. I thought I had outdone myself with you but Byron, really forced my hand. You two love birds may have matching scars." He grinned at me. "I know now that you were meeting him that night, it is a shame that Byron wasn't a
Guardian. He has the qualities of one. I admire him for that, but he proved to be just another weak" he walked towards me. "Immortal" I lifted my lips in dislike.
"Tell me what does he mean to you? Someone go get him" Charles barked over his shoulder. "If I threaten to kill him in front of you, will you give yourself up?"
I kept my face as passive as possible. He didn't know they were gone. They wouldn't be used as leverage against me.
Someone left and I stared up at him.
"Where is the Duke? Still following his every order?" I taunted him. "Are you still being kept on a tight leash." He reached over and smacked me across my face. Pain spread across my face. I recoiled from him, grasping my face.
"Like a good little Guardian?" I snarled at him. "Even now you are still working for someone else." I lowered my hand. That was a mistake because he smacked me again. He grasped my face, and lifted me up.

He pinned me against the wall.

"Don't push me, Iris" he growled at me. "You won't like it." he threatened me. I lifted my upper lip.

"Same technique?" I was getting angrier. I knew I wasn't in the position to make threats or to taunt him. "You haven't learned anything new" I grasped his wrist as tightly as possible.

I was instantly grateful that Taron had taught me a few moves.

"You are going to torture me again? It didn't go to well the first time." I lifted my arm, and brought it down on his arm. His fingers slipped from neck. "So try me again." I glowered at him. He stepped back away from me, and I noticed my knife in his hand.

"Still learning" he sneered at me. He twirled my knife in his hand.

"Sir." Someone came running in. Charles lifted his hand.

"Bring me some ties for the girl. We'll see how much she has really learned, and don't bring my knife set. We will be using hers." His eyes gleamed with anticipation. "Or actually, bring the knife I used on her boyfriend."

"But- sir, they are gone." the man stuttered nervously. Charles eyes flashed.

"Still learning, right?" I shook my head slightly at him with a smile. I got to my feet, and stared defiantly at him.

"Bring Henri." Charles muttered over his shoulder.

"He's gone too." The man replied as he shifted on his footing. "All of them, sir. Including, the other two mentors."

Charles took a deep breath.

"No matter. We can still have some fun." he lifted up his sleeves. "Gentlemen, you are about to learn some special teachings from a certain Professor." He grinned back at me.

' "I am not saying anything." I huffed. He lifted the stained knife up for me to see.

"This is all for show." Charles stared at the knife without blinking. I was breathing hard now. My chest was falling and rising. "We are trying to give my guests a good show. Something they can remember you by." He lifted my head up, and tilted it exposing myneck. The edge of his blade met my neck.