Chapter 22

I tightened my hair on top of my head. I wiped my face, furiously. Taron rolled his eyes.

"Well come on" he waved me forward. Without thinking I aimed at his face with my fist. He grasped my arm and twisted it around.

I sighed in frustration. He released me.

"Stop acting impulsively" he commented. He took my hands and lifted them in front of me so my fists were facing him. "Think fast." He reached over and turned my body slightly.

"Watch me." he stepped backwards. He raised his hands. He explained everything step by step as he attacked me.

"Most men when they attack you will aim for your neck." he reached forward. He gently put his fingers around my neck. "And pin you against something" he stepped forward until my back met the wall. "Depending what type of man he is, he will either hit you or he will try to take advantage of you." He leaned forward. His fingers dug into my side. I searched his eyes.

"So if he hits you" he raised his hand and motioned towards my face. He showed me how to get out of it. "Now if he tries to take advantage of you he will force himself on top and try to push you to the floor." He gently put me on the floor. He got on his knees and put himself over me. He didn't have any of his body weight on top of me.
"You might as well make it like the real thing." I rolled my eyes up at him. He gently placed his weight on mine. His eyes stood out against his tan skin. I noticed there were specks of green his eyes. I lifted my knees up.
"Put your hands around my neck" he didn't lift his eyes from mine. "Bring my head down towards your chest. Grasp me tightly with your legs." I followed his instructions. "Shift your thumbs like if you are going to gouge my eyes out." I gently placed my thumbs on his eyes. He placed his hands on my legs and lifted them higher so my legs were around his waist. "Okay do it fast." I released him. He lowered his head so his lips were almost against mine. I wrapped my legs around him and pressed my hands against his head and brought his head down. I put my fingers as gently on his eyes. He grasped my wrists. He talked me through so i could get out from under him.
"Good" he smiled at me. I was seated on top of him. "We should stop here." I lifted myself from on top of him. He got up wiping himself off. "Nice job." He stretched his back. "Tomorrow we should meet at the river. I've got something else for you to learn."
"Who taught you to fight?" I wiped my hair back. I lifted my shirt to wipe my face. My face was dirty and grimy. I was gross and probably smelly. My stomach growled loudly. It had to be close to noon.
"Here and there" he handed me a water bottle. "You learn a lot travelling the world." I took it and greedily chugged the water down. I lowered the water bottle. He was looking at me.
"Your face has something to it" he tilted my face. "It is like if it is blurry." I lifted my fingers and tilted his own face. His eyes widened slightly. He was now seeing the distortion around my face.
"The charms protect us. You can't really see me." I took off the necklace. He raised his eyebrows impressed.
"Neat little trick." He lifted the necklace to get a closer look. He glanced back at me. "You have pretty eyes." I put it back around my neck.
"Yeah." I shrugged. "I used to joke with my grandmother that I was adopted since she has blue eyes and so did my dad. My mom was brown eyed." He lifted my face up to the sunlight.
"They are different now." He met my eyes momentarily. "Brown?" He withdrew his hand. He seemed to be thinking.
"Yeah I think it is the charms so we aren't noticeable or something. It doesn't matter, the necklace comes off soon." I rubbed my neck. "Do you have food? I'm starving" I sighed heavily. I felt like if i hadn't ate in days. My stomach was now being loud.
"Sure but first you need a shower" he wrinkled his nose. "I can't be seen with you especially if you look like that." I scoffed at him.
He got some clothes for me and he took me to lunch.

As I sat down, I couldn't help glancing around.

"What's wrong?" he asked me. He took a seat next to me.